Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,761   Online: 1120

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F3 will use your current lenses except G lenses. The F2 needs the aperture coupler unless you can find the last meter they made with the ai couler.
    The Pentax LX is laid out as Most slr cameras are in regard to release, shutter speed and aperture.
    The OM's have the shutter speed around the lens mount as the Nikkormats did. I never got used to it YMMV
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jenkin View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I'm currently all Nikon when it comes to SLR (F100 film and D300 Digital). I use a 24/f2.8, 50mm/f1.8 and 85mm/f1.8 on the F100 and I want to (eventually) get a similar set up for whichever camera(s) I eventually get.

I've owned an F5 but it was too heavy for my liking - especially travelling any distance round town or fell walking. The F100 isn't too far removed from the F5 but it's a hell of a lot more portable. The F4 is another nice piece of kit but I'm trying to get away from AF and want something that will offer manual settings (+ perhaps Aperture Priority / Shutter Priority). As you say, Zuiko glass is very inexpensive at the moment but, as I've previously owned an OM1n and OM2n, I'm tempted to go for something 'different'. The Pentax LX looks a likely candidate at present. I like the sports finder and also the option to use mechanically above 1/125th if the battery fails. Pentax glass - although not as plentiful as some - appears to have a good reputation.

It'll be the new year before I decide one way or t'other and much will depend on having a few bob left over after Christmas.

All the best, Paul.
    The lenses you have now will work on an F3. In the USA, where I am, Olympus lenses are the most expensive of the discontinued systems (canon FD, Minolta MD, Pentax manual focus). Collectors and Canon digital users have driven Zuiko prices high. You can get a Canon 24mm f2.8 for $90 while the Zuiko lens costs $150 to $200 on ebay. Olympus´s 85mm f2 lens usually goes for over $300. I still think Olympus is the best, but if cost is a problem it isn´t.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not a Nikon fan at all despite having own 2 F3's, but the FM was the only model I'd have bought (I was given the F3's). There's one in the Classifieds now for $40

This is a Nikon that feels like a Pentax

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you're in Europe, you might want to add a Leica R to your list.
    Nowadays the bodies and lenses can be found *almost* cheaply (esp. if you order directly from Germany).

Leicaflex SL & SL2 have the absolutely best focussing screens (systems) ever.
    Leica R4 are available very cheaply (despite their original bad reputation, any now working will probably keep working for a very long time) and have above average focussing.
    Also, after having used a Leicaflex (or even an R-), a Nikon (in my experience F, F2, F3, FM, FE-2) feels like a loud & rough shotgun.

I won't bring up lens quality, but having used just about every system on the Planet, I now have my preferences... ;-)

Chris
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

The Leica Rs are nice. If you like them and you're really on a budget, consider a Minolta XE or XD body. The R / XE & XD cameras were made in cooperation as were all Leica SLR lenses, with Minolta. If you hold the cameras and/or equivalent lenses side by side you will immediately see that they are more than just "similar" in design - in some cases identical (some Leica shooters get really irate if you mention this, but as a Leica / Minolta shooter, I'm here to tell you - it is the truth).

The Minolta glass is quite cheap in comparison and will give you the creamy bokeh not found in any Canon or Nikon lens - comprable to Leica even in this respect. Minolta bodies in great shape aren't as cheap as some other brands - Minolta collectors are always searching for "MINT" copies of their favorite bodies, as I suppose collectors of all sorts are. But user bodies and all but a few select lenses sell for nearly nothing on ebay, KEH and most other sights alike.

One advantage Leica gave their SLRs over their Japanese double-cousins: the R's have "real" motor drives as opposed to the flimsy winder on the XD system (the XE has no automated winder, but is very closely akin to the XK Motor - which sells in the $1500+ range for a working model - when you can find one). If you want a motor drive, the R is actually a cheaper option than a Minolta. However, Leica glass has never been and is not - even used - very cheap. Hence the cost of Leitz glass will soon catch up with the cost of a motorized Minolta body. But this rolls into an arena of cameras and accessories far, far different from the ones you have mentioned... (XK equipment is rare and highly collectible).

Personally, the slower auto winder is fine for any film shooting I've done in the past decade so it hasn't been an option for me. I'm not going to "waste" film on multiple frames of action shots these days - that's what digital is for in my book. I save the film for the important images, take my time and get it right the first time. If you're looking at the R (again, I'm not sure if you are, or someone perhaps just mentioned it) and you're not hung up on it saying Leica - get the XE or XD instead. You'll be able to buy lenses for 1/4 the price with results that will be indistinguishable except under a loop - if even there.

When you do decide next year, be sure and let us know!
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    May I just take this opportunity to reject the question?

This kind of gear is ridiculously inexpensive right now. Try different things, and see for yourself! With medium format systems I went through a period of a half year or so when I was trading stuff around. You can do this by buying and selling or by trading with friends/apuggers or going to a store etc. Hear me now, believe me later: the expense that you incur during this period- in terms of time and money- is well worth it. Nobody can predict what piece of gear will make you more productive and/or comfortable. Not only that, the system that's right for you may well change over time! <- certainly true in my case

Frequently we get these threads: should I buy X or Y or Z. And then knowledgeable people faithfully enumerate the positive and negative attributes of a whole bunch of gear... and it's all very sincere and educational, but....

Clearly you should buy an F100
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon F1N AE, you can knock nails in with them, and still take pictures, Nikon F2, and F3 are good axes too
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    May I just take this opportunity to reject the question?

This kind of gear is ridiculously inexpensive right now. Try different things, and see for yourself! With medium format systems I went through a period of a half year or so when I was trading stuff around. You can do this by buying and selling or by trading with friends/apuggers or going to a store etc. Hear me now, believe me later: the expense that you incur during this period- in terms of time and money- is well worth it. Nobody can predict what piece of gear will make you more productive and/or comfortable. Not only that, the system that's right for you may well change over time! <- certainly true in my case

Frequently we get these threads: should I buy X or Y or Z. And then knowledgeable people faithfully enumerate the positive and negative attributes of a whole bunch of gear... and it's all very sincere and educational, but....

Clearly you should buy an F100
    Hi Keith.

Firstly, I already have an F100 and love it. I used to have an F5 and loved the results but found it a bit too lumpy to lug around in a small bag. I commute on a train 55 miles each way Mon-Fri and the F5 was a bit too much.

My objective, ultimately, is to build up a small collection of the best examples of the modern SLRs that I drooled over - but couldn't afford - when I first started work in the late 70's / early 80's. I've owned Olympus OM1n, OM2n and cameras like the Canon A1 and T90.

The Canon F1 / F1n and the Pentax LX are probably favorite as we speak (subject to change at a moment's notice tough!) as they were both top of their respective manufacturers' games. The Canons might have the edge as there seems to be an abundance of cheap, good quality FD glass out there. I might be tempted to get an OM4Ti but they still seem quite pricey - probably because they're not so old and are excellent cameras.

I'll just have to wait and see how much month is left at the end of the money after Christmas......!

Paul.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I moved up from the Canon A1 to the F1n a number of years ago haven't regretted it for a moment. I have two - both with motor drives and AE finders. The motor drives add a bit of weight to them but they are very durable and comfortable to shoot with. There are lots of cheap lenses and accessories for them on the market.
    Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jenkin View Post
    My objective, ultimately, is to build up a small collection of the best examples of the modern SLRs that I drooled over - but couldn't afford - when I first started work in the late 70's / early 80's.
    Cool, that's going to be a very interesting collection!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin