Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,704   Online: 1215

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Decisions, decisions.....

There are a few cameras that I've lusted after over the years. Now that the price of a good quality example of some of them has reduced to manageable levels, I've been thinking about buying one or two as a little collection of modern classics. Top of my current wish list are:
    • Canon F1
    • Canon F1n
    • Pentax LX
    • Nikon F3
    • Olympus OM1n / OM2n
    However, I've seen a really nice example of the Pentax LX (unusually, with a sports finder instead of the standard prism / eyepiece) and a Canon F1. Given that my budget is far from infinite, which of the cameras I've listed would you go for and why? Are there any others of the 1970s / 1980s era that should be included? I suppose the availability of decent glass and spare parts in case they need repairs also needs to be considered.

I'd be interested in your thoughts / suggestions.

Thanks.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having had a pair of F3's which I got rid of rapidly I'd buy the Pentax LX. New lenses are available from Zeiss, and Pentax M & K lenses are superb. It's a nicer camera to hold and use than the Nikon.

But I'm biased towards Pentax I have 7 or 8 plus a few lenses MX's are very nice small like the OM 1's, but I'd laso like a K2 and a Spotmatic ESII.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    More glass for the Nikon, but I'd go with the Olympus.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contax RTS II?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All of these cameras are great. I would recommend Nikon. The Nikon system is huge, used lenses are abundant, and rental equipment readily available. I have the FM2s, which I love. You can't go wrong with the F3, either, eps. if you don't need fast flash sync speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I always told people when I was selling cameras at the camera store.... Buy the one that fits you hands best.... I could never use the Olympus, my hand it too big.... The Pentax LX is a nice camera, but again a little small for me.... The Canon F1's are good size for me as I have my grandfathers.

I would get the Nikon, but since my Nikon lenses are all non-AI I wouldn't want the F3.... that's why I have the F2.... that and because when the battery is dead I can still take pictures.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by uwphotoer View Post
    The Pentax LX is a nice camera, but again a little small for me.... The Canon F1's are good size for me as I have my grandfathers.
    For big hands the Canon T90 would do nicely..erm with large biceps as well after putting on a zoom and the speedlight flash gun.....the combined weight of 8 AA batteries doesn't help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by uwphotoer View Post
    ..... Buy the one that fits you hands best.....
    Exactly. I've used the Canon F1 and Pentax series, and currently own an Olympus OM-1 and the Nikon F3. They are all excellent cameras, and they all have a great variety of lenses available used.

I prefer the Nikon F3--it feels just right in my hands.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interestingly all the above cameras with the exception of the Canon F1n are listed in the 1982 Good Camera Guide, edited by Stephen Bayley, the then technical editor of AP.

The difference in prices is quite amazing, running from the OM1n at £135 to the Nikon F3 at £400. In 1982 money they all cost a fortune, especially the Nikon F3. We've never had it so good, as Harold Mac said, in terms of today's prices.
    Very briefly the Canon F1 and Nikon were the heaviest by quite a long way at over 2lbs( we were still imperial then) with the OM1n beingt the smallest and lightest by some way. In the overall camera rating category they all scored 8/10. Only the Nikon gets 9/10 for lens quality, the rest are 8/10. The OM2n and Pentax score highest on metering at 9/10.

Also of interest is the statement that the Nikon is reliant on batteries whereas the Pentax shutter speeds which match the Nikon are fully mechanical. Certainly the LX seems to maintain its value very well in comparison with a number of other cameras of that era and I think that's got to say something.

The Guide is a very worthwhile book to obtain for those into early 1980s cameras and ,like Paul, researching the market. It also covers compact cameras and MF as well as lenses

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favorite camera has to be my Nikonos RS, but it's lenses are only really any good underwater, as you need the 25% magnification of the water on the lens port..... but then again the camera is just over 2 kilo without a lens......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin