Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,709   Online: 787

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A filter is....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like everyone else I gotta put my two cents in.
    UV & SL filters are just cheap insurance for me. Whatever dust & smudges I end up cleaning off at the end of the day is removed from the filter, not the lens. Each lens has it's own resident filter & that's the way it is uh-huh!
    If you've been in the retail end of the camera biz for a while you will have met customers who come in with broken or bent filters to be removed & replaced. If not for the filter it would have been the filter ring or possibly front element of the lens. Filter rings can be straightened glass can't.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, have you got all that snapecn88ca. As you will find everyone has their own opinion, and rightly so, but as you said you are a novice and may very well have been put off by all this tech. talk. To simplify, you cannot go far wrong by using a UV, no colour correction, no exposure difference. It won't do any harm and it will protect that front element of the lens. Buy a B+W Multicoated, not a slimline, 'cause you need the front thread for the lenshood. Lenshood? Never take a picture without one, ever!
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow! Thanks everyone....Food for thought? Yeah well, I just put on 2 stone reading this! Great start though as I now understand 2 things.

One: Filters, UV, Sky, are up to the individual and not a set in stone requirement.
    Two. Use a filter (including the above) if you think/know/decide the picture needs it to achieve your desired goal. That I'll learn along the way as you all did I guess?
    Though as Allen points out, having something, as in a UV, to protect that front piece of glass can't be such a bad idea and, I can always take it off if i feel the need.

Oh! And: Three. Why a dog hangs its head out the car window.....roll on summer, the Harley will see sunshine again! Well; with luck and a little global warming!

Thanks guys. Now I'm off to buy the most expensive, hand made form solid gold UV filter I can find! Only kidding!
    Sanps.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like a good polarizing filter. It's the one I use most. Otherwise, I don't use a UV filter unless i'm taking pictures at the beach or if I don't have a lens cap for a lens.

Yellow, Orange and Red are nice, very helpful with contrast. I try not to pay too much for filters, the only ones I would pay a good amount for are the old Kodak wratten glass ones.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oh, i'm sorry. I agree with the other posters about sales pitches and ploys. A UV filter is generally a UV filter, a cheap spiratone is probably just as usable as an expensive hoya hmc one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    Oh, i'm sorry. I agree with the other posters about sales pitches and ploys. A UV filter is generally a UV filter, a cheap spiratone is probably just as usable as an expensive hoya hmc one.

!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    I like a good polarizing filter.
    Well there must be polarisers and polarisers......because I was testing a new lens out (with and without on a film camera) and the pic with the polariser was less sharp.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin