Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,219   Online: 855

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the simplest, least automated, manual cameras would still be working.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    waga baga, you know, I mean, my papa is getting a new car. My girlfriend, I mean that new one, you know latest gasoline price affect my allowance, you know what I mean, my new 9550 CPU busted to 3 GHz fuf will get me in rocket way straight to 2050, but gimmy the way to get back,...

Shooter
    35mm
    Limiting the discussion to my 35mm cameras...

After I send my father's 1950 Konica I to Carol Miller for some of her TLC, I'm sure it will be good for another 60 years.

No worries about my 1961 Canon VI-T.

Both of my M5s (1971 & 1973) should be fine for several decades. Keep feeding the meters hearing aid batteries.

My 1975 Canon EF will be ok. It hasn't been used enough to hurt it.

Canon EOS-EF stuff from 1999? Who knows.

I'm positive that all of my large format gear will outlive me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nikon Fm3a and its predecessors.. Fm2n etc.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most "classic" Olympus OM cameras should be good for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, well my Olympus OM 1 and 1n, both over 35 years old, are still going strong. I would imagine, with regular maintenance either would still be going strong after another 30 years. Both have been converted to modern batteries and will need periodic replacement of the light seals. I routinely use cameras made in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Were I trying to select a camera that would serve me for the next 30 years, I'd probably do as others have suggested and pick one wiyh which I could be satisfied with today and that offered a manual mode of exposure and focusing. It is more likely that there will be folks around in 30 years with experience in working on Nikon and Canon film cameras than on my beloved Olympus cameras, however there will still be those who can service them. If not, I have a stockpile to draw on. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I had to gamble on the cameras I have, I'd pick the FM3A. The FM2 is already old, the F80 is in the hospital already, and the F65 will probably follow one day. I'd like to think the F100 might make it, but it too has a lot of computer stuff in it.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most good, mechanical cameras should make it, with perhaps a CLA every couple of decades or so....

My own older cameras; Exakta Varex IIa (1957?), Leicaflex SL (1968) & SL2 (1975), Nikon F (1968), Rolleiflex T (1960?), Leica M6 (1986) & Zorky 4 (1958) among others all work perfectly and should be good for the next 30 and many more years, with perhaps some foam replacement for those which need it.

But I think very few of the electronic auto-everything cameras will still be working then.

BTW: Cloth shutter curtains tend not to develop pinholes if kept away from light (lenscap!)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Any Leica rangefinder camera would be a good candidate. If bought today at a favorable price it is the camera with the best chance of holding and increasing value in 2038.

Beware of any cameras that could be described as babyboomers...everyone deserves a decent retirement.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of my cameras will outlive me. I don't think I'll be around another 30 years(I hope I'm wrong though!).
    Jeff

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin