Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,523   Online: 781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    If you are worrying about the 2CR5 you can get a battery grip (without booster) for the 3.
    Personally I would start worrying about this when 2CR5 start to get hard to find. Then I would buy a 10 years supply and look out for a battery grip.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    2CR5's have a long shelf life. So buy a pack of 10 online. It's cheaper that way anyway.

Also look into the BP-E1 grip. It holds a 2CR5 and 4 AA's and isn't quite as big as the PB-E2. When I got my 1V the other year, it came with the PB-E2 which is nice, but I rarely use it. I've been on the lookout for a decently priced BP-E1 grip...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    AAs in the booster are designed to be more of a stop-gap measure than for continuous use. They drain very quickly.

They only stopped producing the EOS 3 last year, I believe. I would not worry about the batteries too much.

I would be more worried about film in 10 to 20 years than I would be about batteries. As soon as the motion picture industry goes digital, film will be on its last legs almost literally overnight (as if it is not already). They may keep making black and white, but not unless colleges continue to be staffed by those who push film as a learning medium. Judging my the recent influx of young, dumb, digitally-raised professors at my school, I would not count on that. Expect a bad economy to hasten this demise, as it already has, with people always seeking the most economical way to work. Remember that professional digital cameras have not even been around for a decade, and look what they have done to the industry. The end started with Clive Howes of Getty Images making the decision to transmit the first digitally-captured image over the wires. That was just sniper fire, however. Then, it's kind of like a nuclear bomb hit Film Town as soon as the D1 came out, and we film users are all the survivors of the attacks. We've made it till now, but the fallout will get us eventually...
    That is a very good point about film. I hope there will always be enough film users to keep it coming - I guess that's up to us. Something else occurs to me too: When the motion picture industry develops sensors suitable for their cameras that technology will probably bring the cost of all sizes of sensors down to a point where even medium format sensors will be an affordable proposition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would just buy a rechargeable 2CR5 battery, I have 3 film EOS cameras and two of them take 2CR5s. Ofcourse I shoot mostly MF and they don't get used often enough for me to make too much judgement.

Josh
    Cameras:
    Canon EOS Elan II/E, Elan 7, and 630. -- Bronica ETRS -- Pentax 6x7
    My Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given that you can still buy those flat or other weird batteries that much older manual cameras use for meters, ancient light meters or other such stuff, I wouldn't worry too much about 2CR5s going extinct any time soon!
    Hasselblad 501CM, 60CB, 80CB, 160CB
    Mamiya RB67SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL
    Nikonos V, 35
    EOS 3, 40/2SL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    2CR5's have a long shelf life. So buy a pack of 10 online. It's cheaper that way anyway.
    Being safe rather than sorry, I would stock up on batteries as well as film, if this is a concern.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin