Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,575   Online: 769

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

EOS 3 Film Body Question - Vert Grip Booster

I'm loving my two EOS 3 bodies, however I am concerned about how long the battery they use will be available for sale. Now I can buy a vertical grip/booster which takes AA batteries, with the thought that if the normal battery is no longer available, the AA batteries would be. Now I don't need the 7 frames/sec that this booster provides, however I like the idea of it taking AA batteries.

Any thoughts about this?
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I own an EOS3, with the PBE2 grip. It makes the camera somewhat heavy but not too heavy (at least IMO).
    The grip is aboslutely great for vertical shots, and using AA batteries is nice.

The only issue I have with it is the fact that batteries seem to 'die' suddenly. I'm now using NiMh celles, but have to be cautious about this, since I can test the batts before leaving, see them full (at least that's what the camera says) and be unable to do more than a few shots. I'm not using the 7 frames per second or anything that may be costly.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Laurent, thanks for the response. When you're using the normal built-in battery (without grip) do you have an issue with battery life?
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thing with EOS3 and battery life is next: When batery level display shows battery isabout half or even two third full, be sure battery will die fast. Thing is, and it is said in manual, battery life display is innacurate. Mine EOS3 works about 40 to 50 rolls (36 frames) showing battery is full, then display shows baterry is two third full and after that camera can shoot only few rolls, not more than 5. So, don't trust battery indicator.

About 40 to 50 rolls of film is normal with 2CR5 battery. It depends how much you use autofocus, eye focusing, display light, do you use for example 70-200 IS lens on autofocus and through all focusing range or just 50mm prime manually focusing, etc...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    Laurent, thanks for the response. When you're using the normal built-in battery (without grip) do you have an issue with battery life?
    I've not used the built-in battery enough to judge. I used it a few times, and am still using the very same that came with the camera when I got it.

haris : in my case, when it says 2/3 full, I usually cannot even shoot one roll. I heard similar things when a French magazine tested the EOS3 for 400 Thousand shots, and they said it was consuming a lot of batteries until it got "used" enough to consume less.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So do you agree that I should not expect the 2CR5 battery to be around a decade or two from now?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AAs in the booster are designed to be more of a stop-gap measure than for continuous use. They drain very quickly.

They only stopped producing the EOS 3 last year, I believe. I would not worry about the batteries too much.

I would be more worried about film in 10 to 20 years than I would be about batteries. As soon as the motion picture industry goes digital, film will be on its last legs almost literally overnight (as if it is not already). They may keep making black and white, but not unless colleges continue to be staffed by those who push film as a learning medium. Judging my the recent influx of young, dumb, digitally-raised professors at my school, I would not count on that. Expect a bad economy to hasten this demise, as it already has, with people always seeking the most economical way to work. Remember that professional digital cameras have not even been around for a decade, and look what they have done to the industry. The end started with Clive Howes of Getty Images making the decision to transmit the first digitally-captured image over the wires. That was just sniper fire, however. Then, it's kind of like a nuclear bomb hit Film Town as soon as the D1 came out, and we film users are all the survivors of the attacks. We've made it till now, but the fallout will get us eventually...
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-09-2008 at 04:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    ...haris : in my case, when it says 2/3 full, I usually cannot even shoot one roll. I heard similar things when a French magazine tested the EOS3 for 400 Thousand shots, and they said it was consuming a lot of batteries until it got "used" enough to consume less.
    Can be, I think (I haven't use mine EOS3 regullary for long time) whatever battery indicator shows, if one put new 2CR5 battery, about 50 rolls is maximunm before battery dies. Saying that, I have battery I bought 2 years ago, still almost full. I keep it out of camera when camera is not used, and that only shows how much I use mine EOS3 now

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    So do you agree that I should not expect the 2CR5 battery to be around a decade or two from now?
    If you can find affordable battery pack, you can buy one and, if nothing else (if 2CR5 will still be long time in production), you will have peace of mind.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The Power Booster is not bad, and one thing is interesting with the Eos 3: the noise it makes sounds different, it becomes less annoying, a different pitch. If you can cope with the extra weight, get one. If you want to save money, the PB-E1 also works fine with the EOS 3.

Talking about batteries, I run two EOS cameras with NiMH batteries. But I bought the batteries some years ago. Today you get much better stuff: "Low self-discharge NiMH batteries". They simply have the power when you need it, even if the camera or strobe was not used for weeks. I have some of these now and can very much recommend to look out for the new type:

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_self-discharge_NiMH_battery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin