Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,328   Online: 1144

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F4 or N90?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have 4 N90s bodies that get used a lot for either field work or underwater photography (yes I use a housing). I also have a F5 that is a wonderful camera but for the most part my N90s's will do everything I want and more.

The added bonus is that is one gets broken I just chuck it and buy another as they are so cheap. The N90s is also lighter and smaller than the F5 unless I put one of the battery grips on it. If I feel I need the extra juice that's when I pull out the F5.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have owned both the F4 and the N90, and I have found the N90 to be a more advanced camera with better autofocus.

But that said, the F100 is better than either the F4 or the N90. If I were to get a backup for the F5, it would only be an F100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Autofocus aside, I have an N90S and it does indeed work with older manual focus lenses. There is a little focus indicator (electronic rangefinder) that helps you nail focus if your eyes won't cooperate, but this isn't a unique feature. What you give up with manual focus lenses is matrix metering (no big deal here), and TTL flash.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to agree with the F100 lobby. I have one and it's a superb piece of kit. Solid, excellent meter and (although I haven't tried) it feels like the sort of camera you could use wearing mittens - i.e. everything laid ppit to perfection. F90 (N90) is probably an excellent camera but I wouldn't want to part with my F100.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I have 4 N90s bodies that get used a lot for either field work or underwater photography (yes I use a housing). I also have a F5 that is a wonderful camera but for the most part my N90s's will do everything I want and more.
    Off topic: Where do you do underwater photography? The Bow River? Lake Louise?

Interested readers want to know!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Anywhere but Steve.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i used to use an N90s. now i have an F100.

the F100 can be had from 100-250! get one! skip the N90s
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    35mm
    F100, only buy the f4 if you think you'll miss the weight of the f5.

Personally though, I love the design of the f4... it "feels" better to me then the f5 or f100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Anywhere but Steve.
    Eric,

Is that the Butt your wife photographed a while ago?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

The F4 is an incredible camera.

If you get an F4e and the multi-function back, it will do EVERYTHING the F5 will do AND matrix meter your AI / AIS lenses. You can also switch to one of the smaller battery pack configurations to make it a smaller, lighter camera than the F5.

If you've got an F5, then you don't have to worry about fast AF - just use the F5 for those shots. Also, if you use AF-S lenses the difference between an F4 and F5 / F100 is negligible.
    EVERY F100 / F5 FAN on this forum is going to shout BLASPHEMY!!!, but I've done the tests side by side and the facts are the facts.

As already stated, the n90 is not in the same league as the F4/F100/F5. Take it off your list for consideration. After using an F5, you will be sorely dissapointed.

The price F4's are going for now is insane. Get two.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin