Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,439   Online: 992

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: F4 or N90?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

F4 or N90?

I'm thinking about getting a camera for when I don't have time to change lenses, and also as a F5 backup. The F4s is at least $160, while the F90 is $47.
    What are the main differences and various strengths/weaknesses compared to each other. Thanks!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    F100. More money but far better camera.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    We're talking the top of the line nikon pro camera for the late 80s versus a prosumer model from the early 90s so in general:
    1. weight F4>>90
    2. robustness ditto
    3. changable finders F4 only
    4. electronics: more on F90. Had 3rd gen AF and probably flash and matrix metering
    5. IIRC AF quicker and more accurate on f90
    6. D lenses work on f90, old lenses with prongs dont

check out http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...onf4/index.htm and http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ls/slr9294.htm

My 0.02:
    For a light use body that is going to be added to all the other stuff f90. Galen Rowell used to do a two body thing with a pro line camera and then the lightest prosumer model he could find as a backup/run or climb up into wierd places deal. For anything else F4 (see also http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonslr.htm)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Walt that an F100 is a very good backup for an F5, they handle somewhat similarly.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F4 autofocus is quite slow compared to the later cameras. My housemate had one, and my intro-level Rebel G at the, time beat his autofocus every time by quite a bit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually what do you think of the Nikon F3 as a 2nd camera?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.185 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

F100 is THE backup for the F5. It's not that expensive and you can find a good deal.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    F3 and F4 are too different from an F5, they could be distracting in that sense, if you are switching regularly between bodies. The F100 is a much better complement IMHO.

I mean... if you want to know my honest opinion... trade in the F5 and get two F100s

Now if, on the other hand, you want a second camera that really is different, then why not go really different and get a camera that fulfills a totally different purpose and is better suited to a different style... such as the street photography that you mentioned. For that I'd say why not look at an fm2n or such. I think you will find it much more useful for street than an F5.

Ah heck there are many excellent F bodies, you just need to get your mits on some and experiment.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    F100. More money but far better camera.
    What he said for the reasons stated in later posts. I use an N75 [F75 outside North America] and an F100 interchangeably.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first Nikon Was a F(N)90X That I still have, use and like a lot. The second highly used and now main body was/is a F100 that took some getting used to but it is a better camera for most aplications. I then got a F3 from my brother. Actually it gets more action than I thought it would and since its lighter and smaller than both the F90X and F100 it goes any where as the backup and sometimes as the main camera.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin