Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,566   Online: 769

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Here are your Nikon choices from 1959 -1979 and 1980 - 1990

If you pick up an FM3a then that is like getting the best of both the FM2 and FE2 + additional features and it would be newer by almost 20 years so you can expect it to last that much longer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Since you say that you don't like the FM series style of metering, but like the FE2 metering, then you'll want either a Photomic or an F2A. The F2SB and F2AS have the same meter readout as the FM2/FM2n. The F2S is just like an F3, but visible in the dark, readout-wise. Although, the shutter speed is indicated by a mechanical disk that rotates with the shutter speed dial, like on other F2 bodies.

Personally, I found that I prefer the F2AS/FM2 readout over the F3's, but don't like how some FM2n's tend to develop a twitchy meter as they age. I know that F2AS's can sometimes develop the same issue as their resistance elements go bad. That said, I also really like the F4's meter readout. The bar-graph display is quite nice compared to the "+-" of the F3/F2S or the "+0-" of the FM series and the F2AS/SB. A lot like a meter needle, but visible in darkness.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW, you can't fully share TTL flashes between an F3 and any other Nikon due to the proprietary mount unless you get the usually very expensive Nikon AS-17. So getting another F3 is not a bad option.
    Getting the FM2/FE2/FA/FM3a gets you a smaller lighter body with higher flash sync speed and higher shutter speeds - and other features as already mentioned.
    Nikon's smallest slr - the FG (EM/FG/FG20 lineup) is worth a look see.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a FE and wow is that thing a beauty, so effortless to use. It does have a new shutter, which was put in 20 years ago. But I would recommend just getting another of the same body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your brain is a better meter than anything mechanical. Get an F and think.
    juan

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get another F3, more glass, or an FM3A. F2 bodies are getting very elderly, pricey to fix, and even pricier to buy in better than beaten-to-death shape. I know they enjoy holy relic status but why bother now?

Late model AF bodies like the N90s and F100 are also worth a look. The N90s is bargain-priced now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    ...F2 bodies are getting very elderly, pricey to fix, and even pricier to buy in better than beaten-to-death shape. I know they enjoy holy relic status but why bother now?
    I have 3 F2As and an F2S. None of my cameras was anywhere near beaten to death, and they all cost under $200 except for an almost mint F2A that I paid $280 for.

These cameras will outlast me. That's one reason to bother about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing about the F2-the higher shutter speeds can be set in between numbered speeds. Comes in handy at times. My personal favorite is the F2 with plain prism. It's lighter, less bulky and has better balance than with the Photomic finders. IMO.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    .. F2 bodies are getting very elderly, pricey to fix, and even pricier to buy in better than beaten-to-death shape. I know they enjoy holy relic status but why bother now?
    Hmmm, the same could be said about F3's, especially since it costs more to overhaul an F3 than an F2. And, nice F3's sometimes cost more than nice F2's. Currently own a 34 year old F2AS that still works like new. Only thing that was done to it was to have the camera refoamed a couple years ago. Body cost me $200 in 2007 as an F2A. Traded the DP-11, a motor drive, and a non-AI 50/2 for the DP-12 that's on it today.

Since the camera will likely outlast everything but my F FTn and possibly my FM2n, I say that's a very good reason to bother now.

Besides, the original poster asked which fully-manual camera he should buy next, not the next autoexposure or AF camera to buy next. He also mentioned that he didn't care for the Nikon FM/FM2 metering system.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    For the price, The F 100 at about $ 200-300 is hard to beat. Plus it works with G and VR lenses. Plus it is new enough that it still has a lot of life left in it.

DaveO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin