Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,607   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funkpilz View Post
    Well, this is indeed a difficult choice. My manual focus experience is all Canon, and a little Olympus. I wanted to give Nikon a try as well, especially since I've heard their AF is much faster and smarter than Canon's. The thing is, I love those Canon L lenses even though I can't dream to afford them. Does that mean Canon has better lenses overall? I'm so confused.

It's nice to have dreams, but hey, if you say you can't afford Canon L series optics, what makes you think you can afford top noch Nikkors? Nikon glass is even more expensive than Canon's.

No, Canon doesn't have better lenses, they have high quality ones, exactly as Nikon.

If you're a Canon user, stick with it, what's the reason to change?

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing is, I love those Canon L lenses even though I can't dream to afford them. Does that mean Canon has better lenses overall? I'm so confused.
    No, it means that Canon has the best marketing: Many photographers dream about owning those huge white lenses with starry eyes.

The fact is, Canon lenses have a reputation for having bad bokeh (though also Nikon is guilty of that).
    Most Canon ultra-wide lenses are also not up to par (check out how many adapters are being sold to use other brand lenses on Canon cameras).

My own advice for low-light shooting would be to use a rangefinder camera. It would also be much more discreet.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    As to why I want to switch, it's mostly because I want to have an opinion on both manufacturers. I hate the whole Canon vs. Nikon fanboy war thing, but if people ask why I use either brand, I want to be able to give an informed answer.
    I don't really care for bokeh much, so unless Canon's is really ugly, that's not a factor for me. The quality of the lenses is, though. If there's one thing I hate, it's chromatic abberations. And I will spend quite a bit of money on lenses that don't have any (if that's even possible). Sharpness is also important to me.
    And yeah, there are about 5 rangefinders on my wishlist right now, but the AF pro camera is a priority.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The decision will be best made by considering lens systems. In general, bodies mean nothing without considering the entire system.

If you shot with zooms, then it really doesn't matter which one you choose. You are stuck with f/2.8, and might as well pick your brand based on the body you like best, as lenses are basically identical.

If you shoot with fixed-focal-length lenses, Canon has the better overall lens system due to its fast fixed-length lenses. Nikon has forgotten fixed lenses and has been focusing on zooms for years, while Canon still has a good selection for those who prefer to shoot with fixed-length lenses.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    It may now be difficult in the era of non-analogue, but your best option will be to rent both on a weekend.

A couple of further thoughts:
    1. Do you really need the wunder-electronics/AF: you have canon MF lenses which is an investment, why not consider the F1n which was Canons pro body in the MF era?
    2. You seem to have the $ for the body but not the lens: if you are going to buy an F5/eos1 and stick a bottom of the line zoom on it the cart is before the horse. Splash the cash on the lens and grab the minimum spec body that will make it play nice. Galen Rowell regularly used prosumer nikon bodies for their light weight when climbing, but didnt chisel on the lenses
    3. Why give a rodents rectum about the canikon flame-wars? They both deliver the goods. In pretty much every way its x does a better but y does b better. The reasons for choosing one over the other are 1. there really is a piece of kit only one system has or a function that is absolutely critical to you and outweighs everything else 2. you like one more than the other 3. they had ... in the shop.
    Lets face it in general a pro SLR is mostly limited by the person behind it more than its design and this has been for a good many years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Or since you have Canon manual focus equipment consider a T90. It's basically a FD mount EOS camera. You could then get some FD "L" series lenses which are much more affordable than their EOS counterparts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Usually I would advise staying with one manufacturer so you can swap the lenses around but in your case, the lenses from your manual focus cameras will not fit the eos series.

The best advice would be to try them both to see which one you like the feel of. They are both very capable so the handling is more important and that would be a personal thing.

I wanted to give Nikon a try as well, especially since I've heard their AF is much faster and smarter than Canon's.
    I was under the impression that Canon had the edge on autofocus and Nikon on metering. This may or may not be true and would be marginal in any case.

I enjoyed looking through your Flickr pages too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well the F5 has interchangeable finders and screens, a color meter[which works well in all situations] and more durability[titanium finder]. It also has a metal rewind fork, and a option for manual rewind if you want to be quiet or your batteries are dead.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Marko

If you batteries are dead, you won't make it to the end of the roll....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove View Post
    Marko

If you batteries are dead, you won't make it to the end of the roll....
    Yeah, but if you need to get the film out [ex you need to develop it today] and the batteries die, it's useful.

I've used the EOS 1n. It's a very nice pro camera, but I just prefer the F5.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin