Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,767   Online: 1106

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I definitely want autofocus, so the MF Canons are out of the question. I'ved looked at the New F-1 and the T90, liked both, but decided to stay with my consumer bodies for manual focus. I want a pro body for fast AF and fancy metering, in general technologies that weren't around in the 70s/80s.
    I shoot with a mixture of primes and zooms, although I like primes better. The first lens I would be getting for an F5 would be the new AF-S 50mm f/1.4G. And no, I don't want to save any money on lenses. It's just that the price difference between good and not so good is way higher in lenses than it is in bodies. If I save 200 bucks on the body, that still won't get me an L lens. So, I might as well get a nice body to start with.
    I suppose in the end I'll just hold them both and decide by which one feels best. I just thought there might be some killer features or anything that has actual relevancy in a Canikon flame war

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Canon lenses have a reputation for having bad bokeh
    Rubbish

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If there's one thing I hate, it's chromatic abberations

You'll never see CA in a film camera. Never.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    IF you go Canon, I'd look at either the 1V or the 3. I assume the 1n is significantly cheaper than the 1V, but the 1V is a much nicer camera. The 3 on the other hand is 95% of the camera that the 1V is, and you can probably get a nice one used for $250-300 (US).

I have a 1V and it is simply an incredible camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and the 3 has ECF, which I absolutely loved when I had an Elan 7ne. However, I've switched to Nikon for the backwards compatability with MF lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Canon lenses have a reputation for having bad bokeh

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Quote:
    Rubbish
    Well, of course anything *you* like can't be less than perfect.
    ;-)

This is from a Canon 50mm 1.2 posted by someone on another forum:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...n/photostream/

Of course, maybe you also think mirror lenses also have good bokeh...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Go with the Canon but not the 1n. Better body build aside, the EOS 3 is a better camera. Better metering, better flash system too (E-TTL), and like the 1n it is sealed for moisture and dust. The EOS-3 provides 45 focus points, and perhaps the best metering of any SLR as of 1998 barring no other brands or models. Also, Canon has faster primes on the wide end then Nikon. The 24L and the 35L are both F1.4 and are excellent. Even the cheaper Canon primes like the 28mm F1.8, 35mm F2, 50mm F1.8 and F1.4, 85mm F1.8, and 100mm F2 are all great to excellent.

An EOS-3 in excellent condition can be had for $200 to $400 too.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    No, it means that Canon has the best marketing: Many photographers dream about owning those huge white lenses with starry eyes.

The fact is, Canon lenses have a reputation for having bad bokeh (though also Nikon is guilty of that).
    Most Canon ultra-wide lenses are also not up to par (check out how many adapters are being sold to use other brand lenses on Canon cameras).

My own advice for low-light shooting would be to use a rangefinder camera. It would also be much more discreet.
    You spew many lies, based on hearsay, innuando, and internet mythology.

I have nearly all the L primes from 14mm through 200mm and on the wide end Canon has an excellent reputation for bokeh. No german made lens can better the Canon 35mm F1.4L in particular, and that lens along with the 24L, 50L, 85L, 135L, and 200L provide creamy smooth bokeh.

And you point to one and only one image posted on Flickr to "prove" that the bokeh of the 50L is bad? Just one image. Did it ever occur to you that you can take the best German lens in the world, that provides the best bokeh, shoot it with a digital body, then post process that image IN THE WRONG WAYS, and guess what? That image will show bad ugly bokeh. So you see, you have to consider how an image was processed. Surely you learned in college that a statistical sampling of one is not sufficient to draw an educated conclusion, yea? You ignore the fact that there are thousands, perhaps millions of images on the internet, made with the 50L that show cream excellent bokeh.

Now the 50L F1.2 is a dog because it has a focus drift when shooting close and fast in aperture...but when one learns how to compensate for it's design flaws, even that lens can produce awesome fruit. For some stupid reason Canon decided to depart from a rear floating lens design with the 50L and many think that is why it is the "worse" L prime currently sold new. However AF focus drift aside, that lens can never be accussed of providing anything less then excellent bokeh.

Portrait made with Canon 50L F1.2:

Last edited by SilverGlow; 12-13-2008 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah, my favorite part of any discussion -- the ad hominem section!

I use Canon at my newspaper (they bought it for us) but my personal preference is Nikon. I don't want to start any wars here but my experience over 20 years has been that Nikons are far more durable. Granted, that's for the rigours of a daily newspaper shooter but I think the notion applies to all.

The manual rewind on the F5 (which I've also owned and loved) is nice. It's just a simpler, easier camera to use.

Honestly, you gotta go with the glass. If you already are a Canon owner, then there's your answer and vice versa. If all else is equal, I like the fact that Nikon cameras can use any lenses, either earlier manual focus ones or newer AF lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Ah, my favorite part of any discussion -- the ad hominem section!

I use Canon at my newspaper (they bought it for us) but my personal preference is Nikon. I don't want to start any wars here but my experience over 20 years has been that Nikons are far more durable. Granted, that's for the rigours of a daily newspaper shooter but I think the notion applies to all.

The manual rewind on the F5 (which I've also owned and loved) is nice. It's just a simpler, easier camera to use.

Honestly, you gotta go with the glass. If you already are a Canon owner, then there's your answer and vice versa. If all else is equal, I like the fact that Nikon cameras can use any lenses, either earlier manual focus ones or newer AF lenses.

Nikon and Canon make excellent, fantastic bodies, and both provide excellent lenses, and flash systems.

The latest Nikon F6 and the latest Canon 1v film bodies are equally durable pro bodies, both providing exellent ergonamics, build quality, and features. Both systems offer excellent flashing systems too.

However news organizations use Canon kit far more then Nikon, but this fact will change very soon, now that Nikon finally has the D3, & D700 to compete with Canon, and perhaps even betters Canon.

The fact that a Nikon body can take current and prior mounts, is answered by Canon's far larger EF lens offerings. That aside, either system will provide any SLR user with the accessories and kit pieces required to get the shot.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin