Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,379   Online: 968

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    jun

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    There are number of cause for the LCD to get bad such as internal electrical contact problem, but what most people don’t understand is that if the CONTRAST of the LCD is getting down, the most likely cause is the “Liquid Crystal” substance itself were attacked by water (i.e. moisture).
    This problem was intensively studied and tested when the LCD was first marketed for such application for digital watches, and some early digital watch maker engineer actually tested there watches by wearing there “watch under test” even during taking a hot bath!!!
    Also if attacked by water (i.e. moisture) the power consumption of the LCD display itself will gradually increase, causing serious problem for a application such as watches which needs to be low power consumption for longer cell life.

My uncle was actually a researcher at a lab for LCD in the early days for the LCD and doing study for the LCD.

IF THE LCD WERE SEALED LIKE A SEAL FOR A VACCUM TUBE, at least the loss of contrast (i.e. fade) will not occur.
    The problem is that, it is never practical to do this (cost, size), thus this problem occur.

The so-called 7 years life span of LCD is coming from this.

This is the reason I am totally not interested in a film camera (must have a life span of at least 25+ years, not those one that goes old within 3 years) that have LCD on it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The only camera I have with a LCD display is a Canon T 90 the LCD is as good as new, but if it fades I'll buy another body, there so cheap at the moment It's not worth worrying about.
    They don't make those anymore, yea? And the used one you might buy may well also have the dreaded faded LCD....
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    ...and film cameras are so cheap who cares..........come to think of it, if all film cameras die of old age, there is always digital.

I will take up painting and drawing before I take up using video capture and inkjets.

Regarding LCDs, I have a 1978 digital watch that is still perfectly legible.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had a few LCDs fail (none on cameras though). Thankfully the LCDs on SLRs seem to be of good quality in general and tend to be fairly long-lived.

Contrast fades over time. I have a couple of older SLRs with LCDs and you can tell that the contrast is not as high as it probably once was (certainly not when compared to my newer cameras). The contrast is still more than sufficient, though.

Nikon's manuals warn of fading contrast. They state that after a few years, you may need to replace the LCD. I think the LCDs have turned out to have better lifespans than most people anticipated, thankfully.

My oldest camera LCD is from 1988, and I have an LCD calculator from about 1982, and both are still perfectly usable. (The calculator is painfully slow when doing complex calculations, but I'm sure it was when new too. )
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the display on my 20+ year old Minolta Maxxum 9000 is fine except for a small darkening in one corner that first appeared about, let's see...about 20 years ago
    then again, the display on my Leica IIIc is perfect

Shooter
    Medium Format

Minolta Maxxums

My Minolta Maxxums (M800si, M7, M9) are all fine. I haven't seen any problems with the LCDs or the viewfinders. I'm sure they will all outlive me.
    I have noticed problems with HP PDA LCDs after 3-5 years. I wonder how long the LCD screen on my TV will last.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    1983 Nikon F3AF reporting in- LCD is just fine. The manual tells me it needed to be replaced in 1990.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

There does seem to be great variation in the life expectancy of Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD). Many of my devices that use them do not get constant use, but in the last 35 years or so, only a couple have developed problems. Leaving them open on the dashboard of a car in the summer sunlight does not help. I have performed the alcohol swabbing task on the elastomer connecting strip of the LCD display of my venerable circa 1980 Kenwood TM-241A mobile radio to restore it to service. (Please note that I DO NOT recommend the use of pencil erasers on PCB contacts and other contacts with gold flashing. It removes the thin protective gold coating - it is not plating - and leaves the base metal exposed to corrosion.) The LCD display of both of my Icom IC-735 radios are still going fine, and one of them has been in daily use for almost thirty (30) years of operation. My hp-41-CX calculator 15 segment LCD from the early 1970's is still going. There is also an early Timex watch LCD display from the 1970's that is still going.

Yes, the red seven segment Light Emitting Diode (LED) displays do seem to have an even greater life expectancy.

While my Canon DSLR cameras and the Minolta Maxxum 9 also have LCD, I am not too worried about them. If all else fails, I can always pick up one of my Minolta SR-T or the Nikon F or F2, and keep going. Assuming, of course, that there is still film.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format

Canon T90 LCD

Hi there!

This thread made me go and have a look at my Canon T90, which was bought second-hand a good few years ago. I've never (yet...) had any problems with the LCD but I was dreading that happening! (Too many lenses, macro-flash and other bits that can't be used with anything other than FD )

However , I realise that, since I always use the camera in manual mode and with spot-metering, I will get almost all of the info I need from the viewfinder. That's maybe a more basic way of working but there's lots of features I never use anyway e.g exposure compensation - I just work out what I want and set it on the lens.

The main problem will be knowing how much film has been used. I would need to keep a note of frames used, perhaps by sticking a label on the back of the camera to tick for each frame. I'm going to have to always keep a spare film handy for when it finishes unexpectedly! Thank goodness the T90 has auto-rewind!

So I will enjoy using my T90 while it still has an apparently perfect LCD and when it does eventually go I'll be able to keep using it anyway.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin