Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,633   Online: 835

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Reloadable 35mm Cassettes

Hello. I've been hoping to start buying film in bulk but am a bit confused about the reloadable cassettes. The cassettes on B&H range from about 50 cents to almost 85 dollars per cassette. Why this huge price range? Are the 50 cent cassettes one-time-use or something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only saw reloadables ranging from $0.59-$0.74 depending on metal vs. plastic.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Images
    If you buy 5 rolls of film at Freestyle, over the phone, they will ship you 25 cassettes as a bonus.

Shooter
    35mm
    bobwysiwyg, this is the $85 one I was talking about. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rtridges_.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerplayer269 View Post
    bobwysiwyg, this is the $85 one I was talking about. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rtridges_.html
    :o:o I wouldn't order that one, whatever it is. Must be some sort of mistake, or it gold plated.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $85 is for 100 cartridges - that's 85 cents each.

These are a known brand. Brand-X is 59 cents. Range seems reasonable to me.

Actually I've been reusing the same Ilford cartridges for about 20 years. That's brought the cost way down.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello. I've been hoping to start buying film in bulk but am a bit confused about the reloadable cassettes. The cassettes on B&H range from about 50 cents to almost 85 dollars per cassette. Why this huge price range? Are the 50 cent cassettes one-time-use or something?
    The only really (relatively) expensive reusable cartridges are the old Zeiss & Leitz ones, which open mechanically while in the camera, thereby avoiding using any felt (no scratches or friction).
    Unfortunately they only work on classic Leicas, Contaxes and a few Soviet cameras (though I did get a Zeiss one to work on my Nikon F).

About metal vs. plastic cartridges, I prefer metal as the ends of the plastic ones seem to want to twist off by themselves....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used a hundred Kalt brand metal cartridges over and over with almost foolproof results. However, it's messier to tape the film to the Kalt spools than to the spools from Kodak cartridges. Kodal spools fit the Kalt cartridges perfectly. The all-plastic cassettes may be easier to use, but otherwise are a pain. I've also used the metal proprietary cassetes for Nikon and Leica. They are expensive, but worth it for some applications.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    most people myself included re-use film cassettes that are thrown away by photo labs. Just go and ask them, you will be surprised. It may be a problem to find a photo lab that still develops film these days but if you do you can get away with a full bag for the cost of $zero. The film is pulled out of the cassette by the developing machine and cut leaving out about half inch that you can use. You tape head to head your bulk film and the piece of film coming out of the cassette and roll in using your bulk film loader.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use both plastic and metal ones. The plastic ones are easier to open because they have screw-on tops. I use some plastic tape I got at a $1 shop to tape the film to the spool - works like a charm.

Reusable cassettes are also good in case you rip a film inside a camera. Just open the camera in a changing bag/dark room and respool onto the reusable cassette. Easy!
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin