Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,279   Online: 819

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am the only film user in my local club. What I find hilarious is that all the digital "experts" in the club asked me to do the club's website.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Wyandotte Camera Club in Kansas City, KS, has more digital than film users. However, we aren't giving up on tradition: we are for black & white photography only. It must work, as we celebrated our 70th anniversary last year. There are other clubs in the area for color.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Portland Photographers Forum has a nice mix of film, digital and hybrid users. From a results of a survey a call for a more younger members came out. We have been looking to how to entice younger photographers but with not much success.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I recently joined a club locally after moving here, and they're a mix of both digital and film. The only designation they make is between color and black&white. Doesn't matter how you got there...just the results which is probably the best part about it. No one criticizes. Good group of people.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My only beefs with camera clubs that I attend sporadically are:

a) the move to projection of digiatal images, with rarely a print made. I know in the past there were great slide competitions, but you knew that was the medium presented.

Now it is -lets see what you have brought in, and they all pull out USB sticks. Print competitions, and they get all bent out of shape that the colour profile at Costco etc. doesn't match what they saw at home - no concept of colur management for most of them.

b) the killer turn around times that digital has enabled. Get a topic to build a photo essay around, and some groups expect that you have results to show at the next meting, two weeks hence. Hell, some times I love the print that I made last week from a negative I shot more than 10 years ago. If I was retired I might find the time, but I am pressed to shoot the subject, process the film, proof it, and then make the print. I guess I should get a scanner and half joing thr pack.

The benifits are that the longer term members who have gone to the D side frequently have traditional camera equipment, darkroom equipment, and consumables that they practically give to you when they see that you still use film and print your own work.

my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Almost everyone I know in the local photography community I met through Flickr or ModelMayhem.com. Film is certainly a niche with this crew. There are some that prefer it, some who dabble in it, and still others that work with it exclusively.

Only a couple of others seem to regularly work in medium format, and I don't know of any of them that work in large format. So when I start going down that road in '09 I'll be on my own.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I for one have been avoiding "camera clubs" like the plague. Even the term itself "camera clubs" as opposed to, say, _photography_ clubs is a big red flag as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention the whole idea of photography competitions.

Plus, I just don't play that well with others. Especially when they want to discuss mega-pixels, resolutions, test charts, and such.

I am a part of a group of photographer-friends here in the bay area. This works a hell of a lot better for me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Something (just heard it from a student) you might want to use at your next camera club get-together...

"It is only 6 megapixels, but they are good megapixels...)

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    My local club has a few that have converted over to d recently, but we aren't a camera club, we are a photography forum. Our main activity is getting together to shoot or do workshops, and we don't care what anybody brings. RF, MF, digi, whatever. Digi is what gets discussed the most, of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went to one once in my local area.. wow, I was 26 then, everyone else was what might be called an advanced retiree!

I liked the article!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin