Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,636   Online: 1052

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My local camera club is 96% digital (I am the remaining 4%). At our general assembly a few weeks ago we decided to let the gear-talk take a backseat to actual photography - this actually met with a lot of support, and I am really looking forward to the 2009 sessions, where first 30 minutes of every club evening will be allocated to one club member presenting his favourite three images (taken by himself or by others), talking in depth about why he likes them from an artistic point of view. We also discussed having one club evening set aside to gear talk only - just to get it out of the bloodstream! That one did not get any votes, though :-).
    S°ren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well... , In january 2009, I'm opening a photoclub exclusively for traditional photography.
    It's not because I'm against digital photography it's because I love film photography.
    This is my ad:
    I let you know if that works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anuncio.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was a member of a Photographic society that folded years ago just before It's 100th aniversary, I was a member for more than twenty years, and made some lifelong friends there, about six of us who are all film shooters still meet once a month at one of our houses to talk photography.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Most clubs have little to do with photography, it is all politics. We formed a large format photography "group". No leader, bylaws, dues, officers or schedule. Just post what you are doing and invite everyone to come. So far it is working good and no drama.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Rosey, I generally like your article, but it reeks way too much of film vs. digital. And is that your goal? I thought your goal was to pursuade senors to look to photography and perhaps a club as a great way to meet people and practice a hobby? And if so, what do you care if the media is film or digital? My 78 year old father makes lots of digital snapshoots with his old Kodak digital point & shoot, and so many other seniors. I see seniors all the time taking thier flash cards to Walmart for prints. And in that aspect, digital is faster, cheaper and easier for seniors them flim.

However if I find a senior that wants to shoot film, that loves film, then I will do what I can to support him/her in that endeavor. I would not try to convert him to digital, unless he/she himself brings that up. I do agree with you that film shooting and perhaps development and printing can be a great hobby for a senior, but suggest it without slamming digital.

And besides, the "negatives" you write of for digital could often be made against film too. I would remove the film vs digital aspect; just my opinion. You already have a great idea: film shooting and processing and the association in a camera club is a great thing for a senior.
    Last edited by SilverGlow; 12-21-2008 at 12:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I joined a club when I moved to PGH because I'd been in one in MA. I'd have to say that this earlier quote sums it up nicely:
    The benifits are that the longer term members who have gone to the D side frequently have traditional camera equipment, darkroom equipment, and consumables that they practically give to you when they see that you still use film and print your own work.
    I'm in the minority, of course, since I use film, but I'm dismayed at how they don't seem to "get" that the projector isn't color balanced, none of their screens are, and that it makes a difference. And they dropped slides this year saying we could just sc@n them and enter them in the d#$)^(&# competitions. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages View Post
    Most clubs have little to do with photography, it is all politics.
    Well, my experience agrees with this. I moved someplace new (location and time frame omitted to protect the feelings of those who I might offend by this comment, as I have no desire to do so) and attended my first ever photography club meeting so as to meet like-minded friends with whom I could socialize and learn from.

Well, was I in for a shock. OH My GOSH! The RULES! Maybe I am an exception in that I attended art school and was taught photography in an environment where exchange of feedback was encouraged because people were attempting to get better at realizing their vision.

What I found was an environment where no one talked! Images were shown (all in pursuit of an award or a contest), judges were polled, winners were announced, but no one spoke at all. I mean, you could allow people to speak only if they had nice things to say or something, but NOTHING. Judges would announce "7" "8" "6" and then they would move on.

Okay, so then after the judging portion, there was a guest speaker. Okay, I thought, now there should be an exchange of questions, at least.

Well the guest speaker turned out to be someone who had been (or was) a judge on a national level, and her talk was 100% about "how to submit photographs that might win awards." Well intentioned, of course. Nice lady. Funny.

But this still had nothing to do with aesthetics or craft except insofar as those aesthetics might help you win awards.

Winning awards is not what drives me to photograph.

I'm sure the group supported each other, and certainly that chapter had been around for a long time (they had just celebrated their 70th anniversary or something). What they did obviously worked for them, so more power to them.

But I felt there was nothing there for me. I left that night and have never had the urge to go back.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey View Post
    As a secondary issue, I have used the avatar from somebody on apug to illustrate my item. I am hoping it is a piece of clip art.
    The avatar is from the "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip. Probably not public domain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semeuse View Post
    I am the only film user in my local club. What I find hilarious is that all the digital "experts" in the club asked me to do the club's website.
    Then again, how many digital photographers are there out there compared to web site designers? I know more people who know how to use a digital camera (or who could at least figure it out) than people who can build a web site.

Just sayin'.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    Rosey, I generally like your article, but it reeks way too much of film vs. digital. And is that your goal? I thought your goal was to pursuade senors to look to photography and perhaps a club as a great way to meet people and practice a hobby? And if so, what do you care if the media is film or digital?
    And besides, the "negatives" you write of for digital could often be made against film too. I would remove the film vs digital aspect; just my opinion. You already have a great idea: film shooting and processing and the association in a camera club is a great thing for a senior.
    Go back and read the column again. There is no film vs. digital implication there. I carefully point out that many of the seniors are moving to digital, in fact are picking it up quite quickly. Digital projectors are part of the reality for them.
    Regarding the "negatives" of digital, I pointed out one shortcoming: The numbers of "throwaway" prints that my generation used to get to fill albums and hand off to relatives are now being deleted while still in the camera. That is a fact.
    And a great loss.
    Certainly, the column covers the peaceful co-existence of both film and digital.
    And for me, the added expense of going into digital while still enjoying my film gear is a legitimate reason for staying put. I wasn't trying to persuade anyone to my point of view, merely expressing it.
    You seem to be reading something into that column that sumply isn't there.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin