Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,281   Online: 834

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Join a camera club, develop new friendships

I have been writing a column/blog on toledoblade.com since I retired in May from the staff of the Toledo Blade.

My column/blog this week is about photography, especially as it affects senior citizens.

My items are posted under the title "A Senior Moment."

Here is a link to my photo musings:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...GS06/812150273

Click on the link or cut and paste to see it.

Comments are encouraged and may be made directly to me with a link at the bottom of the column/blog or by posting here. You can also access earlier efforts.

As a secondary issue, I have used the avatar from somebody on apug to illustrate my item. I am hoping it is a piece of clip art. I spent a long while searching for the initial user to ask permission, but I copied it months ago and now do not know whose it is.

If the fellow apug member wants it removed, I shall immediately do so.

Meanwhile, please read my comments about film use and let me know what you think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting column, but in my experience, camera clubs aren't interested in film photography anymore.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree with you, for the most part. However, there are camera clubs that have great numbers of retirees like me and still project slides for bragging rights and friendly competitions. Of course, most clubs prefer digital gear, but the film users can always find a home.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If I'm not mistaken the avatar is a portion of a Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes) comic strip. That's Calvin's dad trying to get a family portrait shot.

I'd love to find a photo club in the area, but I don't think Sacramento really has any that would be friendly to film.

Shooter
    35mm
    My experience too has been that walking into a camera club with a film camera is the modern day equivalent of back in the day when I walked into my HS cafeteria wearing pants with "rain catchers" (i.e. cuffs).

Isn't that why sites like this exist.? So we "film nerds" don't have to go out for public ridicule?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You never know -- the local camera club wants me to take them out for a day of 4x5 shooting..though I am sure there will some digis out there!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is indeed Calvin's father. He had Calvin dressed up in a collar and tie and Calvin blasted about ten faces in a row before he gave up in disgust, relinquishing his son to his tiger and his imagination (mandibles of death and all).
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I checked out my local camera club this summer.
    The only thing they were interested in was "Who's is bigger" (pixels)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am the lone film user in my camera club. They think it is neat what I do. I use mostly large format and when I print at home, I do pt/pd prints. I do have to go to a lab get b/w silver prints made however.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The local camera club I belong to is quite small. Two or three members are mostly film. The others are half and half.

Jeff

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin