Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,329   Online: 780

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you considered a m-format SLR? I shoot a 6x4.5 SLR and I do not find it much more difficult than shooting a 35mm SLR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got to agree with the others who recommend sticking with the Canon FD system. Their FD lenses are just as good as the Nikkor AI / AIS equivalents and sell for less. About the only argument I can make for the Nikon bodies is that there seems to be more of them available and service can be had for almost all of them. I'm less sure that's the case for the Canon FD bodies, but I could be wrong there.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would keep the Contax and Zeiss lenses. I think the aesthetic is different between Zeiss and Nikon/Canon and the results won't be any better. I would be surprised of you got $1800 by the way but maybe you already have a buyer. I would try to unload the Canon system and maybe pick up a Fuji or Bronica medium format rangefinder.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in a similar situation about 20 years ago. I had a really nice Rolleiflex 35mm system: SL35E's, SL2000, Zeiss lenses from 16f2.8 up to 135f2.8, including the 35, 50, and 85 f1.4's. Incredible lenses, but the Rollei bodies were just not dependable enough for professional use. I had sent them in for service several times but the same problems kept recurring, so after one last botched shoot I decided to make the big switch. I sold all the Rollei gear to somebody... maybe KEH, maybe B&H, I don't remember... and started building a Nikon system with an FE2 that I found for sale new for $75! Bought a 105mmf1.8 new, as well as an MD12 and SB16B flash. Later I added more used lenses and bodies from KEH until I had a decent system.
    It was a good switch for me because of the problems with the bodies, but I sure miss those Zeiss lenses! In your situation, I would not switch unless there were problems with the camera bodies. Their being out of production might be the determining factor in your decision. Yes, the Nikons that have been mentioned are out of production too, but there are lots more of them around than there are Contaxes.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I would keep the Contax and Zeiss lenses. {snip}
    I would, too. Hell, I've been looking at that system and thinking about getting one, so I must be missing something because I'm still not sure why you want to switch. Nikon is great, no argument there, but those Zeiss lenses, yow.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Shouldn't there be a poll in this thread?

If your not shooting 35mm that often don't waste your time and energy.

I think if you need extra money for the documentary stuff either sell some photo's, some personal items or get a part time job for a few months. Shoveling snow is a good part time job btw. Good exercise.

I sincerely wouldn't base my judgment on using one lens, and a 50mm at that. Maybe a short zoom but not a 50mm.

I'd upgrade one of your bodies to get that incorporated light meter. A FD body would be a smart choice at their recent prices.

I've shot Nikon AF and manual for a long time and their just as blasé after the honeymoon is over. I'm now shooting an M3 and a FTbn and I prefer the Canon for mirror lockup in an SLR.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys for all your opinions so far. For the Canon FD system I have an F1 body 20mm f2.8 ssc, 35mm f2.0 ssc, and a 50mm f1.4 ssc. Though it is a good system, I feel that the Nikon has a better range of lenses for what I'm looking for and I've seen a lot of good examples shot with Nikon systems (I know great shots come from great photographers, but I also know that equipment helps). Ontop of that, my F1 body has some light leakage (even after I replaced the seals) and the meter doesn't work. So, I figured I would give into curiousity and try a Nikon, but seeing the prices means it's going to be a pricey experiment.

I think a good point was raised about the history of the equipment. Another good point about taking up some extra work for cash. Maybe if a Nikon comes up for an incredible price I could try it out and re-sell it, just to put my mind at ease. I think I'm lucky as a lot of people out there who are probably grinding their teeth reading that someone is switching from a Zeiss system to a Nikon and would probably sell me their Nikon gear for a plane ticket to Edmonton to break my nose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I personally prefer both Nikon F and Canon FD systems to Contax, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Just shoot with what you have when the spirit strikes you, and call it good. It sounds like a convoluted way to get some free cash.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can echo the thoughts of others when it comes to praise for the FD system. But if you're concerned about larger prints, why not sell your Contax/Zeiss kit and stick to your medium and/or large format gear? Obviously, your subject of choice should play a part in that decision, but it's something that you need to decide. Pick the right tool for the job... unless you're just one of those strange ones that's sitting in the basement, stroking your gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    Thanks guys for all your opinions so far. For the Canon FD system I have an F1 body 20mm f2.8 ssc, 35mm f2.0 ssc, and a 50mm f1.4 ssc. Though it is a good system, I feel that the Nikon has a better range of lenses for what I'm looking for and I've seen a lot of good examples shot with Nikon systems (I know great shots come from great photographers, but I also know that equipment helps). Ontop of that, my F1 body has some light leakage (even after I replaced the seals) and the meter doesn't work. So, I figured I would give into curiousity and try a Nikon, but seeing the prices means it's going to be a pricey experiment.
    I think the condition of your F1 is the problem. Just get another one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin