Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,068   Online: 825

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    I think I'm lucky as a lot of people out there who are probably grinding their teeth reading that someone is switching from a Zeiss system to a Nikon and would probably sell me their Nikon gear for a plane ticket to Edmonton to break my nose.
    To hell with them! It's your gear and it's your choice. Having owned all sorts of cameras over the years (by brand, format and medium) photography is, at least for me, about the fun of experimentation when creating an image. For the life of me, I can't understand badge snobs.

Going Nikon needn't be an expensive option. There's a retailer in the uk called Aperture and they're currently selling off loads of F3 kit (probably taken too much of it in P/Ex) and lenses to go with it. Nice guys and possibly worth an e-mail to see what they've got that might suit your needs....especially with the £sterling dropping like a stone!

http://www.apertureuk.com/

Good luck and all the best for the festive season.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Jordan I was thinking that if you want to get into Nikon on the sly you might consider a bargain condition body from KEH and rent a lens that you may have an interest in according to reviews. If any rental lens pans out for you you'll have a body to work off of till you snoop a lens and eventually a better body. I'd watch tho any auction site, no return policy body as usually the older equipment most likely will require a cla, if not for the seals at least for the metering. By the time that's done your toe dabbling will have you invested into another system just to be confident to use it. At least with KEH you'll have a return policy in case it turns out to be a money sink hole and they do have extended warranties. There's bodies earlier then a FM2 that go real reasonable. At FM2 they spike up. Just make sure you get one that takes silver oxide batteries. If you can stomach something lighter, AF and newer the N80's with their F100 based metering systems are cheaper then some K1000's. I own two in addition to many other bodies and mine are always loaded and sitting on the table. No problems after 3 years but their not heavily used. Still a cheap investment that shoots G lenses, has DOF preview, incorporated flash and can be passed down in the family without a thought.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikons are like rocks. I don't even use a camera bag for mine. The F3HP is plentiful as are the lenses. The removable prism is a very nice addition that permits you to shoot from low angles.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that Nikon lacks fast primes on the wide end? And by fast I mean faster then F2...
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that Nikon lacks fast primes on the wide end? And by fast I mean faster then F2...
    Yes; they do not. God bless Nikon, but they have never caught up to Canon in the autofocus age. Their cameras (especially the non-pro ones) and software handle about as smoothly as a Gameboy, at least in my hands (I suck at video games, BTW). Their lens selection makes me want to cry. Where are the pro-build autofocus 24 1.4 and 35 1.4? How is it that a pre-AI lens has more functionality mounted to a Canon EOS body than to a new Nikon body? Ridiculous. Incredibly frustrating, as there are a lot of little things I really like about Nikon pro bodies. From my POV, they just don't offer the big picture as well as Canon does.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-24-2008 at 09:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm cheap. I sold my FD 24/1.4L in favor of the 24/2 because I couldn't see a difference in my shots. Call me a heretic, but I really didn't see the need for the L with that focal length. I really only favor that letter in the telephoto range.
    I did some tests between my FD 24/2 and my AI 24/2 with MC-N adapter on an FTb. I thought the Canon offering had a bit more punch to it than the Nikon. Since most of my shots are landscape or wildlife, I never looked back after picking the FD lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Jordan, if you reach a point where you want to unload that 35mm lens, give me a hollar. I'd keep it if I were you, but if you decide not to . . .
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon has a 28/1.4, and 35/1.4 (although the 35 is manual focus). It isn't all that awful.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    That's only the case for modern AF glass. Nikon's got the 35/1.4 AI-S and 28/1.4 AF-D, although the latter is rare and VERY expensive. Nikon's lens selection compares very well to FD though, aside from T/S lenses (Nikon only matched Canon's T/S selection last year, and none of those PC-E lenses will work on manual focus bodies).

Shooter
    35mm
    I moved from Contax to Nikon 4 years ago, broke my heart to sell all those solid Zeiss lenses!
    If Analogue Photography is just a hobby, then I can't see the point of changing, Contax is a beautiful system (Although I believe there is no more service support)
    But Professionally there are no other choices but to change your Main body to Digital, For Me that meant Canon or Nikon.
    Nikon won hands down for me as they are so ergonomic (but it's really a matter of taste)

For Film I've just got hold of a Mint F100, It's now my sole film body after having owned a FM2n & F80

I'm Happy with Nikon and I've not yet met an unhappy Nikon user yet!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin