Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,757   Online: 937

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'd be losing the 35mm 1.4, which is my personal desert island lens (when size & weight aren't a factor), giving a wonderful 3-d rendering and look.
    While I've never used one, the Zeiss 100mm 2.0 is supposed to be exceptional.
    While it may or may not be important to you, the Zeiss 35mm & 85mm 2.8 lenses are especially compact and sharp (great travelling and mountain lenses).

The Nikon lenses you mention are good, but in my experience (I have the 24, 35 & 105 you mention) don't equal their Zeiss, or my other favourite lens, equivalents.
    I'm actually slowly retreating from Nikon, though keeping some essential focal lengths because of future uncertainties (digital).
    My poor Nikkors haven't actually been used for several years now...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    I can only speak from experience with the Nikon system and older bodies and lenses. I have an F3HP and and old F2. I have a handful of lenses that fit each. AI and non. For me they take spectacular pictures and I don't consider myself all that good at taking them. For me the decision was based on longevity and build. The bodies I have are like bricks. The lenses, the same way. All except my 135mm e series. But even that one is damn nice and takes a great shot.
    But if I was in your shoes I don't think that I would sell off such a nice set up. And if I did, I would probably not start collecting a new system. I would add to what I have. But that is just my 2 cents.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Nikon has a 28/1.4, and 35/1.4 (although the 35 is manual focus). It isn't all that awful.
    Nikon *had* a 28mm f/1.4, which I desperately wanted back in the day, but apparently it didn't sell that well (they manufactured less than 10,000 of them, according to this link http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#28).

It was discontinued. Now, if you can find one, expect to pay $3000+ ... Seriously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good thing I can live with f/2.8.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I still shoot with the Canon FD system, but with 'L' series lenses, the 24mm, 50mm, 85mm and 300mm. The pictures I get from this system are superb and are as good as any camera today except for maybe very high end digital cameras. Nikon would have to be just as good though. What others have repeated is valid, there is no point in changing manufacturers unless there is a gain. Maybe just buy some 'L' series lenses though. I notice they are now getting rare and more expensive. Someone stated that his 24mm 'L' series was no better than an ordinary 24mm. All I can say is my 24mm 'L' lens is beautifully sharp.

Everyone is amazed at the high quality of my family albums. They cannot comprehend that I still use 30 year old film technology, and I still get my 6X4 prints - calmly at the end of the day from the photoshop. I noticed my daughter who shot her treking trip recently on digital, was running around looking for cables, chargers, and several days later she was able to present her shots. The colours were shocking and she was dissapointed. I wouldn't change my Canon manual focus 25 year old film system for quids. Stick with what yourv'e got and upgrade it.
    The Medium is the Massage - Marshal McLuhan
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went through pretty much what you're contemplating 20 years ago. Exactly 20 years ago, in fact. I had a large Canon FD system -- two old F1s, both with motor drives, and an FTb. FD Lenses from 20mm to 300mm, plus a Sigma 600mm mirror. And I had macro stuff -- the FD bellows, 50 and 100 macro lenses.

While I loved those old Canons and the FD lenses, I was kinda tweaked at Canon at the time for changing their lens mount. I gave it some serious thought and decided to change over to Nikon. The idea was to do it gradually, pick up good Nikon pieces as I could afford them, and slowly move over into autofocus. Fast forward a couple years and I had two large Nikon outfits -- an F2 and an F3, both motor driven -- with an even larger assortment of lenses than I had for my Canon system. All manual focus, though. I just didn't see the need anymore, especially since I was able to pick up used MF gear for quite a bit less than its AF equivalent.

But you know what? The quality of the photos I took with the Nikons was no better than those I took with my old Canons. And I found myself missing my old F1s. In the early 90s, I bought my wife an EOS Rebel, and gradually picked up a lens here and a flash there for it. After the Rebel wore out, I bought her a used Elan IIe, which came with another EOS lens. This past Christmas, she bought me a digital EOS XS with lens, and now I have almost as many EOS lenses as I do for my F2 (the F3 system got sold off during some lean times in the early 90s). So, here it is 20 years later, and I made the Canon MF to AF switch anyway without really thinking about it. I still miss my old F1s though.

I've enjoyed using my Nikon gear -- especially the F2 -- but I guess if I would have had to do it all over again, I would have just kept my FD system and expanded it instead of converting to Nikon, since I wound up going the EOS route rather than the Nikon AF route anyway.

Just a bit of perspective for ya.

Best,

Michael
    Last edited by cooltouch; 01-09-2009 at 11:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    I went through pretty much what you're contemplating 20 years ago. Exactly 20 years ago, in fact. I had a large Canon FD system -- two old F1s, both with motor drives, and an FTb. FD Lenses from 20mm to 300mm, plus a Sigma 600mm mirror. And I had macro stuff -- the FD bellows, 50 and 100 macro lenses.

While I loved those old Canons and the FD lenses, I was kinda tweaked at Canon at the time for changing their lens mount. I gave it some serious thought and decided to change over to Nikon. The idea was to do it gradually, pick up good Nikon pieces as I could afford them, and slowly move over into autofocus. Fast forward a couple years and I had two large Nikon outfits -- an F2 and an F3, both motor driven -- with an even larger assortment of lenses than I had for my Canon system. All manual focus, though. I just didn't see the need anymore, especially since I was able to pick up used MF gear for quite a bit less than its AF equivalent.

But you know what? The quality of the photos I took with the Nikons was no better than those I took with my old Canons. And I found myself missing my old F1s. In the early 90s, I bought my wife an EOS Rebel, and gradually picked up a lens here and a flash there for it. After the Rebel wore out, I bought her a used Elan IIe, which came with another EOS lens. This past Christmas, she bought me a digital EOS XS with lens, and now I have almost as many EOS lenses as I do for my F2 (the F3 system got sold off during some lean times in the early 90s). So, here it is 20 years later, and I made the Canon MF to AF switch anyway without really thinking about it. I still miss my old F1s though.

I've enjoyed using my Nikon gear -- especially the F2 -- but I guess if I would have had to do it all over again, I would have just kept my FD system and expanded it instead of converting to Nikon, since I wound up going the EOS route rather than the Nikon AF route anyway.

Just a bit of perspective for ya.

Best,

Michael
    In my limited experience, technology changes but the physics of optics appears to remain a constant.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wish Nikon would re release the 28mm 1.4 D.

I would get one if it was affordable.

~Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Contax 139Q & RTS are nice cameras but a tad dated. I currently use 22 different cameras for fun and serious stuff. But of the whole lot of them I always find myself with a Nikon F4 or F5 in hand. With used camera prices as low as they are these days it's east to find an F5 for under $500. I like my F5 for astrophotography because I can see all camera settings at a glance (no menu fumbling) in total darkness with its 2 external back lit LCD displays which is a big plus. The F4 is amazing as it seems to be compatible with every Nikon F mount lens no matter how old or new plus is does have VR support for brand new lenses. If I had to choose, it would be the Nikon F5, it's speed (8 FPS with built-in winder) and tank like construction is by far best bang for the buck.
    ------------------------------------
    -Joe
    RB67, ETR, ETRS, F4, F5, FM3a, A1, AE1,
    Bronica-S, Mamiya-7, Yashica TLR, & many many Range finders
    ------------------------------------

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin