Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,831   Posts: 1,582,301   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter Brand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as i know, the only difference between 'regular' Cokin A series filters, and their other series, including their Pro thingies, is the size of the filter.
    Not so?

Anyway, curious about their current state of affairs, i checked their website.
    There they say that their regular filters are made of something called CR39, and that their Pro filters are made of a better stuff, called CR39.

Must be me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the step ring plan also. My largest LF lens takes a 67mm filter, so I have step down rings for the smaller sizes. I used a drop of clear finger nail polish on the threads of the step ring so only the filter comes off, not both when changing filters

It works well.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Tiffen and B+W make fabulous filters. Tiffen is making the Kodak Wratten filters now, which you might want to take into consideration. the problem is, both of those company's filters can be fabulously expensive if you happen to be budget bound. The solution lies in buying a Hoya filter, which is affordable yet of reasonable quality, IMO.

Step rings are also recommended
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used Cokin A and P series filters in the past as a result of not being able to afford better ones. They are 'okay' in my opinion but I don't like putting anything in front of a top quality lens that will reduce its inherent qualities. Cokin do Pro-series filters but I haven't tried these.

For film, I now use Lee filters. They're a lot more expensive but their quality is second to none. They also offer bespoke filters. I have one which is a 3 stop (0.9) ND hard grad at the top and 81B warm up the bottom. This saves buying two filters.....

I occasionally use filters on digital but, as CS3 and Nikon Capture NX offer such great system filtration / masking options, I prefer to shoot 'straight' using nothing more than a Marumi Digital Protect filter - more as a protection for the front element of my lenses.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd agree with everything posted above!

I used one or two Cokin filters quite some years ago (for one particular special effect I needed then). At that time they had an ENORMOUS range...seemed a bit of good marketing to seduce people into thinking they needed to buy every single kind.

The mount is rather fiddly for everyday use particularly if, say you only wanted to leave a UV or yellow/green filter on the lens for protection. My own basic screw filters stay on the lenses all the time, and the camera and lens cases close with them on.

I'm told that the Lee version of the filters are much superior, but priced accordingly (conversation with someone in the movie business).

I tend to use either the camera manufacturers' filters, or, for a wider range, the Hoya ones. I have a couple of B&W which seem really top quality too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a Cokin P filter set once, with just a couple filters for black-and-white. I gave it away because it was a pain to use.

The step-ring solution works for my larger lenses: I bought several useful (black-and white, warming, and soft-focus) Tiffen, Mamiya, and Sailwind filters in 77mm size, with rings to put them on 67mm, 62mm, and 52mm lenses. Those filters live in a single wallet, in a large LowePro backpack that can carry most of my gear.

I also have a couple wallets full of 52mm Tiffens that I bought used from KEH for next to nothing. I've seen some of the warming filters on their site for less than a dollar! Those stay in the bag with my F4 since they fit most of my Nikon lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not so much keen on filters, especially those giving colour effects. Taking one photograph with a colour filter is ok. The second will already look like a clone... if you see what I mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With all due respect to budgetary constraints, your camera optics are something you shouldn't cheat. Make the extra stretch and purchase good-quality glass filters, eg. B+W, even though you may need a couple of sizes. Inferior plastics and glass can (and will) lessen image quality, no matter how good your current lens(es).

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Cokin, and the only problem and complaint is with the ND and the sky, the ND tends to add a tinge of purple to the sky... at least on digital. I don't think I've had this trouble on film, though I haven't looked for it specifically. I use a Lee ND, otherwise all else is Cokin. I can't really compare Cokin and Lee, I haven't had the experience with Lee (other than that one ND I've got). However, I'd rather hard filters to the 'soft' Lee that I've got. I've only got one scratch in my filters, and it doesn't seem to affect any pictures. Not much else to report.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    B+W or Heliopan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin