Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 959

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter Brand

Shooter
    35mm

Filter Brand

Hello everyone,

I'm pondering filters for my new 35mm gear/lenses and thought I would see if anyone has any experience with Cokin filters (www.cokin.com).

My main interest in this brand is to facilitate having a single filter (system) that will match any size lens diameter. So I won't need to carry a 77mm and a 67mm of the same type.

Does anyone have any experience with the Cokin brand? Also, are there other recommendations besides Cokin?

Thanks for considering my questions.

~Jeff
    Last edited by nufe; 12-27-2008 at 11:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You mean Cokin, right? Lee also makes similar filters I believe. The problem with the Cokins is that they scratch easily.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    You mean Cokin, right? Lee also makes similar filters I believe. The problem with the Cokins is that they scratch easily.

Yes, I mean Cokin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get similar interchangeability by using step down rings. Buy the largest filter you need and step down rings for any other sizes. I use 58mm filters on 55/52/49mm dia. lenses.
    IN total agreement w/marko re the durability of the Cokin plastic filters.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some very good scratch proof coatings for plastics, I'm surprised Cokin doesn't use them.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I must admit that i haven't seen Cokin filters up close for a long while.
    But that is because when i did, they were appallingly bad. Dreadful.

Warped. Uneven colour. Wrong colour. Schlieren in the material. Just 'plain old' rubbish.

Lee makes filters that are beyond all reproach. Very good.
    Cromatek is a bit less expensive (i believe - haven't checked lately) and are very good too.
    So i see no reason to waste money on Cokin filters.
    But 'ymmv', and all that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not had QG's problem with Cokin, though I agree that Lee are better if you can afford them. My gripe with Cokin is that their ND filters are not actually neutral: they tend to impart a slightly warm cast, and of course they scratch easily if not cared for...

I do also find the holder (P series) rather cumbersome so usually use screw-in filters with view cameras, or when discretion is required...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Buy the best filters you can possibly afford, don't save money on filters, I only use B+W glass filters or Nikon, they are made of the highest quality optical glass.

Choose wisely!

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've never used Cokin so I cannot really comment. But I have found Hoya screw on filters with step-up adapters to be very good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

They make (made? - are they still making filters?) a pro line as well that was much higher quality and would not scratch (as easily).

Cokins were the first "effect" filters I ever owned, back in the early 80's. Let's just say that the results made me swear off filters completely until a few years ago when I started using polarixers.

Here are the filters I use / prefer, in order:

-Leica
    -Minolta
    -Nikon
    -Hoya ultra thins (for wide angle)
    -Tiffen, "Moose" filters only*

That's all.

*Used Tiffen "Moose" filters on my AF Nikkor lens shots outdoors for years. Don't own any anymore, so I don't use them (Leicas and Rokkors are naturally warm).
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin