Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,341   Online: 769

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I've thought about picking up an EOS 3, but I'm worried about the unusual battery and what will happen when it is no longer available. Would the Elan 7ne be a better choice?
    The required 2CR5 is pretty standard, I can find it in my local Walgreens. Otherwise you could get the power booster PB-E2 (takes eight AA cells) or the dual-power battery pack BP-E1 (my personal favorite, smaller and lighter, takes four AA cells AND/OR a 2CR5).

My own pick for a good semi-pro SLR is an EOS RT. Five fps, non-moving mirror, pretty quiet, as close to a motor-driven rangefinder you're ever going to get. If I want to use C/FD lenses I use a T90 or F1N.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by white.elephant View Post
    I've never shot an EOS 3. How does the eye control work?
    When you place your eye into the view finder, you move your eye around the finder and the focus point you look at when you press the shutter half way down, it lights up, and that is the focus point you use for the shot. This is great as it discourages photographers from the dreaded Lock-Focus-Recompose dance. It means evaluative metering is more accurate, and critical focus is more accurate, especially when shooting close to your subject and fast in aperture. The EOS-3 provdes a staggering 45 focus points to choose from. Now you don't have to use eye-control, and when you turn it off, focus point selection is the conventional way.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The N90s is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of bang for your buck. When I bought my setup from KEH recently, I got an EX+ N90s, LN- 50/1.8, and BGN battery grip for the price of an EX F100 or EOS 3 body. While it's not the "best" semi-pro SLR on the used market, I figure if it was good enough for scads of National Geographic photographers (Galen Rowell, Jodi Cobb...) as recently as a few years ago, then it's certainly good enough for the likes of me.

I would even direct a beginning photographer towards the N90s over the old manual cameras. It's often as cheap or cheaper because it's not a collectible or nostalgia item. If you're like me (blind as a bat and hate wearing contacts), it becomes a no-brainer. I also have a Spotmatic on loan from my dad, but I hate using it because of the squinty finder that can scratch my glasses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    When you place your eye into the view finder, you move your eye around the finder and the focus point you look at when you press the shutter half way down, it lights up, and that is the focus point you use for the shot. This is great as it discourages photographers from the dreaded Lock-Focus-Recompose dance. It means evaluative metering is more accurate, and critical focus is more accurate, especially when shooting close to your subject and fast in aperture. The EOS-3 provdes a staggering 45 focus points to choose from. Now you don't have to use eye-control, and when you turn it off, focus point selection is the conventional way.
    And wearing glasses doesn't make a difference?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vintage: Nikkormat EL, even had a winder, less vintage FA/FE, Cannon T90, very vintage Mirdanda EE, Alpha, Spotmatic F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well... If you always wear glasses, do the calibration dance with glasses on. If you SOMETIMES wear glasses, I think you have a decision to make as I think it makes a difference to the camera's eyeball-rotation-sensing device.

I wear glasses, and my right eye is useless (due to a brain injury a few years ago) so I shoot with my left eye. I had no difficulty calibrating my EOS 3 ECF for left eye with glasses, and it works fine. Not that I use it often, ECF is still a bit of a novelty for me.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For glasses wearers and the EOS 3 or Elan 7ne - program one of the ECF sets for glasses, and one for contacts. That's what I always did with my Elan before I went Nikon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For many glasses wearers, the eye-control focus will work, but you need to calibrate it first.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the process of building a collection of cameras I owned, traded and regretted or couldn't afford in the first place! I already own one of my favourites - the Nikon F100. My most recent acquisition is one of my all-time favourites and recommends - the Olympus OM2n. Next on my list is any one from the following:

* Canon F1 / F1n
    * Canon A1
    * Canon T90
    * Nikon F3HP
    * Nikon F/F2
    * Pentax LX

They all seem very cheap these days (so long as you don't wanta mint / boxed example) so I can see my store cupboard becoming a bit of an Aladdin's cave over the next couple of years. Thank heavens for an understanding (nay, encouraging...) wife!
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    For many glasses wearers, the eye-control focus will work, but you need to calibrate it first.
    Wow, that just sounds amazing. I do the 'focus, recompose, shoot' dance all the time. I have an EOS-1n, and I like the camera (it seems to have many of the plusses and minuses of the EOS 3, not as many focus points), but it doesn't have the eye-control.

I'm currently going through a phase where I'm evaluating exactly which film cameras I own and which I should own (lenses, too). With film camera prices so low, it seems like I can sell what I have an swap using ebay or something with little overall cost if I plan correctly.

This thread has entered the EOS 3 into the equation. I have a suite of Canon auto focus lenses, (and a smaller selection of FD gear) and that feature is really very attractive. Thanks for this thread.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin