Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,759   Online: 892

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Give Me Your List: 35mm SLR Great emi-Pro Bodies

What do you think is a great semi-pro AF 35mm SLR body/s that you think is the one to have, and why (no wrong answers, and give more then one if you want) and again, no pro bodies please:

I'll start:

Canon EOS-3, with battery/vertical grip.

Why?:

1. Eye control focus point selection. Minimizes re-composing.
    2. E-TTL flash logic that makes nearly any flashing job a no-brainer.
    3. Quiet rewind mode.
    4. 45 focus points to choose from. Minimizes re-composing.
    5. Up to 7 frames/second.
    6. Under $200 in excellent condition used.
    7. Separate light meters for body & flash.
    8. Uses one's existing EF mount lenses.
    9. Shutter life rated at 100,000 actuations.
    10. Dust/Moisture sealed.
    11. Compatible with over 60 EF lenses, several flashes, and dozens of EOS accessories.
    12. 18 Custom Functions
    13. 1/8,000s shutter speed

Dislikes:

1. Will fog IR film.
    2. Shutter is very loud.
    3. LCD prone to fading eventually.
    4. Unless one has the optional battery/vert grip (takes 8 AA bats), this camera will die once the 2CR5 battery is no longer made.
    5. It is a bit big and heavy.
    6. Flash synch just 1/200s.
    Last edited by SilverGlow; 12-30-2008 at 05:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Nikon F5

Why:
    1. As a mostly rangefinder shooter, the Nikon F5 with it's AF feature and strong motor, is my alternative for a faster camera than my Leica M7.
    2. My older AI-S primes from my Nikon F3HP is compatible, utilizing a Nikon Type L Focusing Screen.
    3. Convenient for a bifocal spectacle person like myself on lenses over 75mm, But truthfully over 50mm frame for my eyesight.
    4. There are tons of other features the F5 can offer that I can't utilize as a candid and night club shooter. I need to make a quick decision and capture the moment quick.

Cons:
    1. Big and Bulky
    2. Like any SLR, it is very intrusive for candid shots.
    3. Flash, Tripod and Monopod dependent in low light.
    4. Too many wheels and buttons that I don't need. All I need is the AF and strong motor.
    5. I use the extra over head shutter at the bottom corner, only by pressing it by accident.
    6. Will release the shutter when camera is on unlike my F3HP that need to be cocked.

I love my rangefinder hand held @ ISO400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon EOS 3. They are the best bang for the buck. They sell for about $300, and often for under $200, yet they have the same exact auto focus performance as the 1V, plus ECF, which the 1V does not have. All things considered, this is the best all around AF camera that Canon has ever made, IMO.

The HUGE drawback is that they will not accept manual focus lenses, which a Nikon will. Well, they will take other brands' lenses via an adapter, but you lose auto aperture and distance scale accuracy.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F100
    Pros
    Smaller and Lighter and batteries last longer then the F5
    Compatible with all of my AI'd and AI MF lenses
    Fast shutter speed 5fps with battery grip
    Quiet
    battery grip is cheap now
    can use any AF selection point with MF lenses sweet!
    Focus indicator tells you which way to go to get in focus
    Well priced now.

Cons
    Wish I had the Eye control focus I used to with Canon
    Uses batteries
    LCD screen will fade eventually.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ron110n View Post
    Nikon F5

Why:
    1. As a mostly rangefinder shooter, the Nikon F5 with it's AF feature and strong motor, is my alternative for a faster camera than my Leica M7.
    2. My older AI-S primes from my Nikon F3HP is compatible, utilizing a Nikon Type L Focusing Screen.
    3. Convenient for a bifocal spectacle person like myself on lenses over 75mm, But truthfully over 50mm frame for my eyesight.
    4. There are tons of other features the F5 can offer that I can't utilize as a candid and night club shooter. I need to make a quick decision and capture the moment quick.

Cons:
    1. Big and Bulky
    2. Like any SLR, it is very intrusive for candid shots.
    3. Flash, Tripod and Monopod dependent in low light.
    4. Too many wheels and buttons that I don't need. All I need is the AF and strong motor.
    5. I use the extra over head shutter at the bottom corner, only by pressing it by accident.
    6. Will release the shutter when camera is on unlike my F3HP that need to be cocked.

I love my rangefinder hand held @ ISO400.
    Ron, really cool picture of the drumer & bassist!
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Canon EOS 3. They are the best bang for the buck. They sell for about $300, and often for under $200, yet they have the same exact auto focus performance as the 1V, plus ECF, which the 1V does not have. All things considered, this is the best all around AF camera that Canon has ever made, IMO.

The HUGE drawback is that they will not accept manual focus lenses, which a Nikon will. Well, they will take other brands' lenses via an adapter, but you lose auto aperture and distance scale accuracy.

2F/2F, I didn't know that about the EOS-3 & manual focus lenses...I was thinking somkeday of buy manual focus fast 50mm prime for the 3...perhaps an adapter so I can use a zeiss lens someday...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 7.

Cheap and great lenses, honeycomb display at the back with exposure values of the scene, neat AF point selection, small and lightweight can be still used by big handed boys when grip is attached.

EDIT: Did I mention the function of storing the data of 8 last exposed rolls i.e. aperture, time and method of measuring the light?
    Lukasz Grabun
    My webpage: grabun.com
    My latest photos: click here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    2F/2F, I didn't know that about the EOS-3 & manual focus lenses...I was thinking somkeday of buy manual focus fast 50mm prime for the 3...perhaps an adapter so I can use a zeiss lens someday...
    No EOS camera takes Canon manual focus lenses (except the T/S lenses, of course). This is Canon's largest drawback nowadays, IMO. I would lick their boots if they would manufacture a digital body that takes FD lenses. For the time being, I just mount my '60's Nikon glass on my 10D (and my 50 1.2L The only EF lens I have).

As far as putting an expensive manual focus lens on your 3, my POV is that the Canon EF 50mm 1.4 is a better option, unless you NEED a decent depth of field scale. It is fine as far as optical quality, it is low in cost, and any decent AF lens is a MF lens if you want it to be.

I have used all three currently available Canon 50mm lenses, and think they are all good. I have actually owned and used the 1.8 and the 1.2 extensively, and have borrowed the 1.4 several times from a friend. With the L, you pay for a metal body, a hood, and a half a stop...that's it physically, though I find images from the L do have a special something that I have only ever got from my FD 55mm f/1.2...something about the color and the way they render out of focus areas is really nice compared to the 1.4. The 1.4 is great, though. Everyone should have one on their EOS film body. The 1.8 is a piece of crap in every possible way...except for the images it forms, which are perfectly adequate. The only one of the three that has ever actually broken is the L. A $1,400 metal bodied lens, and they top it off with a plastic retaining ring.....idiots.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-31-2008 at 04:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post

Why?:

1. Eye control focus point selection. Minimizes re-composing.
    I've never shot an EOS 3. How does the eye control work?
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've thought about picking up an EOS 3, but I'm worried about the unusual battery and what will happen when it is no longer available. Would the Elan 7ne be a better choice?
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin