Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,823   Online: 1053

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Definitely not new, but not terribly expensive - a Kodak Retina IIa. Rangefinder focus, F2 50mm lens, compact, extremely rugged.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    if you can find one, a yashica T4. dont' get the date back ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Focus lag is going to be a problem on all AF P&S cameras.

I like the Yashica T4/T5 - f3.5 35mm Zeiss Tessar lens that is hard to beat - very sharp wide open which is impressive for a Tessar, exposure accurate enough for shooting Kodachrome. Prices on used ones have gotten rather high.

The other camera I have is a Nikon 35Ti, f2.8 35mm 6-element lens, matrix metering, manual overrides, steam-punk meets Mies Van Der Rohe styling, wonderful build quality. Prices are often less than what a T4 will go for. Total lag from pushing the button to taking the picture isn't ultra short, but unlike other P&S's the lag after pre-focus to taking the picture is very short - so it works for portraits and such.

The old Rollei 35 - the old glass and chrome one with the pull out Sonnar lens - would be a good choice. Scale focusing and match-needle light meter though.

I have had an XA and a Stylus Epic and didn't care for them, probably bad samples of each - the XA had very poor resolution wide open [think box Brownie] and the Epic managed to focus sharply on something but it was never the thing I wanted it to focus on.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The olympus trip 35 offers auto exposure ASA 25-400 with manual one person, 2, 3, mountain focusing. The Nikon L35AF offers autofocus.

I've used the trip and I love it. I'm looking for the nikon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei 35's are not going to be fast if you have to pull out the lens & set focus/speed & aperture. May as well get a Leica M or S camera.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've heard lovely things about the Nikon 28ti but they're pricey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't laugh, but you might want to give a disposable camera a try. No shutter lag, cheap, and many of them actually take decent photos. Won't cost you much to give one a try either.

Best,

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Contax T3. I don't know how much it runs in the used market these days, but in Japan you can get one in mint condition for 400-500 USD. I know it's a lot of money in a way, and especially to use it from now on it's kind of not worth the investment. But it's small, fast, and takes good pics. It's way better than other high-end P&S cameras I know of. I've been using this camera since when it came out in 2001.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    What is important is that it be a fast camera -- I want to be able to pull it from my pocket, turn it on, a quick glance to compose and then take the picture. I want the camera to take less than 1 second to do whatever it wants to do between the time I press the shutter release and it fires the shutter -- preferably way less than one second.
    This is more about how you shoot rather than your camera, though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Worth trying a Konica c35 auto to see if you like it, I've seen them go for as little as $5 on US ebay....no inbuilt flash and limited for slow and very fast shutter speeds......but the Hexanon lens is very good to excellent....it has a range finder, but with the 38mm f2.8 lens I just judge the distance and set the lens and let DOF cover.

http://mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/konica_c35auto.html

C35, 5X7" print scanned, 200 asa film....erm one day I'll set that horizon horizontal, but here's a pic:-

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin