Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,376   Online: 1091

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This one!

Never sold it. Make an offer.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an Olympus 35RC which is a nice, compact little camera. Has a sharp 35mm 3.5 lens, a built-in meter which I never use, I like it for P&S and have had good luck with the sunny 16 shooting. I keep it in my car for handy quick shooting when I don't have another camera available.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for an XA or a Rollei 35.

If those are too manual and slow, I have got excellent results with my Canon Sureshot 76 zoom. This is an automatic fixed-focus zoom point and shoot from the mid-late '90s, and it also has "flash off" and "flash on" settings, as well as a self timer. I think the lens is 38mm through 76mm. I never found it very useful for anything beyond the middle or so, as focus and shutter speed become a bigger issue there. It has no exposure controls, and it is battery dependent for everything. These are $1 to $5 cameras, but finding them is the issue. They tend to come up all the time, but probably would not do so if you were actually on the hunt for one! You get the best results in good light with a fast film, of course, because the camera gives you fast shutter speeds and deep depth of field this way. Or maybe the shutter speed is fixed after all. Who knows. I do know that it takes nice pix for a point and shoot, though. I have never tried it on a tripod, where the long focal lengths might improve in quality. I would just use a "good" camera if I was going to lug a tripod anyhow. Any point and shoot is limiting, but any camera is better than no camera, and I have definitely made some good-enough prints from this camera that I would not have got if I had not brought it along. I am sure all the big camera companies had similar models of point and shoot cameras, and, like Canon, endless variations thereupon.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-07-2009 at 09:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One has nailed it again. For under 15 bucks (including shipping) on the EBay you can get one of many Cannon Sureshot cameras. We just finished a "We all shoot one Camera" with a Sureshot.

Not my cup of tea but it will work for you.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a great little canon sure shot 76 zoom too. Nice little camera.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got the first roll back from my new-to-me Konica Big Mini and I have to say... the quality of Walgreen's photo finishing has really fallen off a cliff since the last time I put a roll of color film through! The first half of the roll is light-struck, the second half has roller marks from dirty rollers over all the frames. Other than that, it looks good: sharp, contrasty, good saturation. It's best suited for a large pocket; I'll have to see where I can put it this summer when the jacket comes off. Pretty camera, too: this one looks pristine, doesn't look like a roll of film was ever put through it. I think this one will work for my project. Thanks everyone, especially 'rosey' for the very nice Big Mini! I'll post a shot or two when I can.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Thanks everyone, especially 'rosey' for the very nice Big Mini! I'll post a shot or two when I can.

Mike
    Mike,
    Glad you like the Big Mini. I've had good luck with mine, but you'll also need some luck finding a decent place to get the film processed and prints made. I've been pleased with my local Ritz.

A reminder to followers of this thread. I have two dozen similar P&S cameras to unload at bargain prices, a fraction of what they cost new. That includes Pentax, Konica, Nikon, Minox, Samsung, Olympus and Ricoh. Some of them have zooms. All are new or like new with cases. I am not exaggerating the condition of these gems.

Sure, I can put 'em all up on eBay, but film shooters here can have first crack at them.

KEN (ROSEY)
    Last edited by rosey; 03-09-2009 at 03:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add a brand name

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin