Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,405   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Good camera to start in 35mm with

Hi all,
    Wow, I've learned so much from this group! Today my oldest daughter and I went to a used camera shop in Billings. What a treasure trove! We walked in and were greated from back in the corner with "What are you looking for". I said lenses for my Nikon. "Digital?" was his gruff answer. He was very plesant when I answerd no and told him what camera I had. I will have to get back there soon. There was lots of darkroom equitment, cameras and stacks of everything. I found a 70-200mm lens for my Nikon FM2 for $50. Its not the best but will work for me learning.

My question is about a camera for my Daughter. My 20 y.o. daughter has never seemed all that interested in photography. She has a p&S digital. She went over to the shelves of camera bodies and said, "wich one should I look for for my Alaska trip." I love my Nikon but many of the other brands seemed to have more lenses and such to choose from than the Nikons (at least at this place). She said she wants one that she can take great scenery with. She really likes how my film pics turn out. She did pick up a newer Nikon with a decent looking lens on it (sorry, don't remember the model #), and another lens behind it that looked like it went with it. She wants to know what the best bet would be for her before she picks the first one that comes along though. She wants to learn some about a camera but would like some auto functions. She is a full time student so dosn't have a lot of time right now to learn to operate a fully manuel camera.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! My enthusiasm for this hobby must have rubbed off!
    Lori

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure you're going to get lots of opinions, but I would go with the same camera you have, the FM2. She should be able to pick one up very reasonably, along with any Nikon 50 mm lens, or a 35 if she prefers a wider angle. You can teach her all she needs to know about the camera. If she wants real auto, I'd look for an F80, which can also be found very reasonably priced. It's a little more complicated to learn all that it will do, but if you just leave it on Program, it will act like a point and shoot.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is an incredible selection of used Nikon lenses because Nikon is one of only a couple DSLR manufacturers that hasn't changed their mount since their first 35mm SLR's hit the market back in the 70's. I would suggest staying with Nikon if only for this reason, otherwise the difference between manufacturers' cameras are generally negligible. I wouldn't suggest the FM2, however, since it's not really an automatic camera. I suggest the FG (manual focus), which I have seen selling on this website for under $30, or the F90, which is an autofocus camera. The F80 is good too.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FM2 is just about perfect for a starter camera. Being fully manual isn't a problem at all. It's just as easy if not easier to use than a fully automatic camera. It's only slower to use as you have to spend time focusing and and setting the exposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here are a few thoughts....Nikon has the most used equipment out there and you have that system. It sounds like the best bet. If she wants to use it on a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I'd say get it serviced (CLAed) and shoot a few rolls of film after the servicing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds good all. I passed along your info to her. If she goes Nikon we can mabey share some lenses! She'll have to try out a few and see what she likes. Thanks Lori

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lorirfrommontana View Post
    Sounds good all. I passed along your info to her. If she goes Nikon we can mabey share some lenses! She'll have to try out a few and see what she likes. Thanks Lori
    All in the family works well. Then you don't have to duplicate seldom used but neato doodads.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What they all said.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Poohblah;

The Nikon SLR camera is a bit older than "back in the '70's." The original Nikon F actually hit the United States in 1959. Erhrenreich Photo-Optical Industries (EPOI) caused the great earthquake that led to the shift in photojournalism from usually range finder cameras (mainly Nikon SP and Leica, with an occasional Graphlex holdout) to single lens reflex cameras when they handed to every major news photographer a Nikon F with lenses "to try out."
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    Nikon is one of only a couple DSLR manufacturers that hasn't changed their mount since their first 35mm SLR's hit the market back in the 70's.
    1959 on the Nikon F

Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    I suggest the FG (manual focus).
    This would be a good choice for travel as it is light and has good metering abilities.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin