Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,620   Online: 1033

Thread: Vignetting.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vignetting.

If you can't see it through the viewfinder can it occur on a print?
    Example:My beater/storm camera is a Nikkromat FTn with 50mm Nikkor lens.Found a metal lens hood (for 135mm lens) that keeps the snow/water off my front element.I can't see any vignetting but could it happen as the view I get is about 97% of the actual image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes. I am assuming it's on the negative, too. If it's only on the print, there's another problem.

There is a reason why there are different hoods for different focal lengths. It's not just marketing. It is likely that a hood for a 135 is too long for your 50.

97% is probably optimistic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes it will vignette. It may be visible if you stop the lens down when viewing.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I made a lens hood for my Art Deco Rolleicord, and it vignetted the film at first. A 35mm film canister fit nicely over the taking lens. Here's how I determined the correct amount to cut it back: With the shutter on "T", and looking through the lens from the film side, it was easy to see how the hood was vignetting the corners. My viewpoint was through the lens, from the extreme corners of the film plane. Lens was wide open - a mighty f/4.5.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Someone posted a link to a site with info on how to make your own lens hood. lenshood.co.uk. Looks interesting.
    Anne

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin