Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,552   Online: 942

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
    I whole-heartedly recommend John Titterington (JTcamera@aol.com in Leawood, Kansas) for Minolta SRT or any manual focus Minolta SLR. He's repaired and/or CLA'ed many of my SRT/XD Series cameras over the last several years and i've never had a problem with his work. Never. His price is $75 plus postage and he does a complete re-build in lieu of a simple CLA.

I have contacted Garry's Camera before (his shop is in the Chicago area) and he does have a lower price, but when asked about a specific repair for one of my Minolta XD-11s he couldn't do the job (my camera had a broken film winder spool). I think he pretty much has a CLA-only shop where John Titterington is a full-on repair center who also does CLA's.

Generally, you get what you pay for.
    It would be great if you could post this in the camera building and repair forum, where others are more likely to look for repair information.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Charles;

For information and comparison, Garry's normal charge for a CLA is about $45.00. As you have heard, most people have been quite satisfied with the work from Garry's shop.

He also does repair work. For example, he is familiar with and does replace the capacitors in the Minolta X-700 circuit when required. I also believe that he does a conversion on the SR-T light meter circuit to make it compatible with the silver-oxide batteries.

For additional comparison, my local camera repair shop normally charges about $120.00 for a 35 mm CLA.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    fmajor:
    Not every repairman can get the parts he needs from all camera makers.
    E.i. if I want Rolleiparts I get them, if I need a Nikon name/type plate I don't.
    That's why some camera repairmen do CLA's only.
    Replacing the broken film winder spool is not the problemm, getting the part is.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    At the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly is a CLA? I need to have my x700 fixed, the shutter does not advance when the lever is moved, and I am not sure how it was broken (IE bought it with a 50/1.7 and 75-200/4.5 for the lenses). If you think that Garry's camera would be better, as I may not need parts, I will definitely send it there.

Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    CLA means clean lube and adjust. Most cameras that need service dont have any broken parts, just gummed up mechanism. If it needs parts most repairers charge a bit extra for the parts
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Charles;

For information and comparison, Garry's normal charge for a CLA is about $45.00. As you have heard, most people have been quite satisfied with the work from Garry's shop.

He also does repair work. For example, he is familiar with and does replace the capacitors in the Minolta X-700 circuit when required. I also believe that he does a conversion on the SR-T light meter circuit to make it compatible with the silver-oxide batteries.

For additional comparison, my local camera repair shop normally charges about $120.00 for a 35 mm CLA.
    Ralph,

Don't forget, the $120-$138 charge that Doug charges is for a full overhaul of the body. I'm actually having the black Nikomat FT2 overhauled by him at the moment. New mirror box, J screen, possibly a different top cover, and some other goodies. By the time he's done, I'll be $138+tax poorer, but I'll have an FT2 that functions like new.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2x2 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 50/2 AI, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry to be away so long from the thread; thanks to all. Will have to decide whether to put the camera in a box leaving it for my kids to fix 30 years from now, when it will be truly a relic, or fixing it myself now (despite the risk that I won't use it much and it will collect new dust and grime).

Shooter
    35mm

This is a month late

and maybe a dollar short---but hopefully you haven't thrown the camera out the window yet.

I'm guessing the camera has been stored for an extended period of time with the shutter cocked.This really beats the heck out of the springs,but should be an easy fix.--- remove the bottom of the camera,---with the back of the camera facing you,you will see a large brass gear left of center.Next to this gear are two smaller gears with click stops. turn each one of these small gears 5 clicks clockwise---then with the back opened fire the shutter and make sure the shutter closes all the way and the mirror resets--if not turn the gears 5 more clicks and try again.--hope that helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just did that thingy with my SRT-101 last nite. It works great and my shutter speeds are also much more accurate.

Shooter
    35mm
    My mirror on one of my recently acquired 102s was doing the same thing. I replaced the foam on the mirror damper (it had become gooey) and it hasn't done it since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin