Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,732   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Minolta SRT-201 Shutter Problem

In a (partial) move from digital back to film, I pulled out my 35 year old (or so) Minolta SRT-201. I loved this camera when I was a kid; a lens a meter, manual focus, simplicity itself, and with the 50mm Rokkor 1.7 lens, great image quality. I had the camera cleaned and then took it out for a test. Unfortunately, about 20 percent of the time, after the shutter is depressed the viewfinder goes black but does not clear again until the film is advanced. I thought this was just the mirror not going back into place, but when I saw the film developed I noticed that on these shots the right hand part of the image is black (in positive). This convinces me of two things: first, I have no clear idea of how the shutter mechanism works; second, the camera (sadly) is probably now a paperweight. Regarding the second point, I can't imagine that it would pay to fix the problem. Any thoughts are welcome (including on whether there might be a market for the lens, which is still in great shape--maybe a Sony DSLR owner won't mind manual focus).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This SRT-201 needs some CLA. Whether it will be worth your money ???
    You can look for a good body on the internet or see if the local camera shop has something you like.
    Selling your good lens to somebody with a DSRL is not advicable, the lens might fit, but the results will be not good:
    analoge lenses and DSLR does not work: chips want the image straight on and not in an angle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Minolta's manual focus lenses won't fit Sony digital SLRs, Sony uses Minolta's autofocus mount which replaced the manual focus mount in 1985. Your camera needs a CLA, about $100-$150 depending on who does it.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can pick up Minolta SRT series SLRs on many online auction sites for $35-$50 USD all day long.

I'd buy another body and put the old one on display.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've never used him but Garry's Camera seems to be highly recommended in the Minolta manual focus groups at Yahoo and at other forums. A Google search will turn up the reviews.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Minolta's manual focus lenses won't fit Sony digital SLRs, Sony uses Minolta's autofocus mount which replaced the manual focus mount in 1985. Your camera needs a CLA, about $100-$150 depending on who does it.
    However, with the soon-to-be-released adapter ring, MD series lenses can be used on the u4/3'rds format Panasonic G1; there's already an adapter for the standard 4/3rd's format cameras.

~Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks to all. As I suspected, the camera isn't worth fixing, sentimental value notwithstanding. If I do buy another analog SLR, I'll likely buy an autofocus (again, sentimental value aside) so will probably sell the MC Rokkor--or hang onto it as a keepsake.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey, found this on the Pacific Rim Camera website:

"105159 MINOLTA SRT201, WITH 50/1.4 MINOLTA MD, WORKING, MISSING PLASTIC TIP FROM THE WIND LEVER, ELSE EX $85.00"

Link to their Minolta MC/MD mount body page: http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/catalog/bx12.htm

Transfer the plastic tip from your 201 to this body, and continue shooting. Then, when you're ready to jump to AF, find whichever AF body suits your fancy... Heck, maybe even a decent Maxxum 9000, so you can still shoot fairly quietly, even though you're using an AF body.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    I love that camera. Had one and got lost in a move a few years ago. Sorry you are having problems with your camera. Hope it works out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I whole-heartedly recommend John Titterington (JTcamera@aol.com in Leawood, Kansas) for Minolta SRT or any manual focus Minolta SLR. He's repaired and/or CLA'ed many of my SRT/XD Series cameras over the last several years and i've never had a problem with his work. Never. His price is $75 plus postage and he does a complete re-build in lieu of a simple CLA.

I have contacted Garry's Camera before (his shop is in the Chicago area) and he does have a lower price, but when asked about a specific repair for one of my Minolta XD-11s he couldn't do the job (my camera had a broken film winder spool). I think he pretty much has a CLA-only shop where John Titterington is a full-on repair center who also does CLA's.

Generally, you get what you pay for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin