Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,500   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI - flare prone?

What is your experience with the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI lens, as far as flaring is concerned? Last weekend I shot a roll of SFX, and looking at the negs I noticed an ugly flare in one of the frames. I understand that this could have been avoided by using a lens hood, but does this lens tend to flare easily? As far as I can remember, this is the first time I had flaring with this lens, and the Sun was not even in the frame - just outside of it when I composed the shot (on a F3, which has 100% viewfinder coverage).

What has been your experience?

Regards,
    Sanjay

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess I've seen this on occasion but I always use a lens hood. I've noticed it more with non-zoom lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine is quite resistant to objectionable flare, but I do use a lens hood all the time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I never use the lens without a lenshood, so I don't know if the lens is flare prone.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Sen View Post
    What is your experience with the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI lens, as far as flaring is concerned? Last weekend I shot a roll of SFX, and looking at the negs I noticed an ugly flare in one of the frames. I understand that this could have been avoided by using a lens hood, but does this lens tend to flare easily? As far as I can remember, this is the first time I had flaring with this lens, and the Sun was not even in the frame - just outside of it when I composed the shot (on a F3, which has 100% viewfinder coverage).

What has been your experience?

Regards,
    Sanjay
    Alwaus use a lenss hood. THe front element of this lens is large and catches flair quite easily.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I include the sun in a lot of my photos and am always looking for lenses that can handle it w/o flaring.

You can actually use DOF preview to check for flare. Any flare you see then will probably appear on your negative. Caveat: its not a sure-fire method. There's additional glass when you use DOF preview: mirror, the split prism on some screens, the prism itself, etc. Also, you can't always see all of it. But I've found this to be helpful in eliminating a lot of flare.
    Nikon FM2n (20/3.5, 28/3.5, 50/1.8, 55/3.5, 135/2.8), Pentax 645n (55/2.8), 3rd Eye Cameraworks 6x18 (on its way)

http://kthompson.jalbum.net/KurtThompson/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm using UV filter - it may avoid a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Shooting into early afternoon sun at f/11 in Ames, Iowa.

I never found it that bad.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A UV filter will make it worse. You have two more air-to-glass surfaces to create flare.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post

Shooting into early afternoon sun at f/11 in Ames, Iowa.

I never found it that bad.
    Not that much flare in your photo, unless you stay looking details or looking for flare you don't notice that easily.
    Maybe in color It's seen clearly, since most flare has got that green/magenta color.
    Just use a lens hood, not only diminishes flare; If It's a good one, It will protect the lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin