Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,694   Online: 887

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd vote for plastic. Screwing in the caps is easier especially if you're doing a lot of rolling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I use the metal ones from Freestyle http://www.freestylephoto.biz/183125...tridge-25-pack
    And I've had no problems so far.
    Those are the same as I use. No problems. Work fine. Reload 'em many, many times over.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks!!! to all. I appreciate your desire to help - it is this sense of "community" that will keep film and APUG going for a long, long time.

For the moment, I'm well set up... ~20 rolls of Aristo Color Print 400 and "Premium". That should be a start into evaluating Freestyles' film and to learn the Canon Elan 2e ... at least something about the Canon.

It is interesting to note that ALL - everyone is "Out Of Stock", when it comes to 35mm Plastic Screw - Type cartrides (did we, at one time call these things "cassettes?). Many are buying and loading bulk film? This would be fairly compelling evidence that film is NOT dead.
    Last edited by Ed Sukach; 01-14-2009 at 08:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling error. FAIRLY was intended.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's probably more like, why tie up capital in stock that doesn't sell much?
    Frank Schifano

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I repeat my question:
    Are there several manufacturers, or is there only AP?

Are we all talking about the same two cartridges?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    It's probably more like, why tie up capital in stock that doesn't sell much?
    I would suggest that there must be a greater risk in "tying up capital" by warehousing bulk film itself - note that there is a "perishable element" here (the expiration date). The suppliers list the cartridges - and say they are "out of stock" - quite a different thing than not offering cartridges for sale at all.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like plastic. I had a rotation going of like 40 plastic cans, never had a problem.

You can tape your bulk film onto the remains of a cartridge that has already been processed in a noritsu film processor as it leaves 1" of film sticking out from the cartridge. Ask your local lab, i'm sure they'll be more than happy to dump out their bucket for you

Also they are generally very clean. I mean, they get used once and tossed.
    Metal, you know the end caps aren't going anywhere..

It's an option. If you have one of those Watson loaders it isn't so bad. You just need a good tape. Film leader card tape is a good choice..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach View Post
    I would suggest that there must be a greater risk in "tying up capital" by warehousing bulk film itself - note that there is a "perishable element" here (the expiration date). The suppliers list the cartridges - and say they are "out of stock" - quite a different thing than not offering cartridges for sale at all.
    Yeah, but film is "use once" consumable. Film cartridges can last for years.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I repeat my question:
    Are there several manufacturers, or is there only AP?

Are we all talking about the same two cartridges?
    I see three brands at B&H (I wonder where the generic ones come from?). I know kalt makes them, so add that.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As seemingly different makes of the two types are marketed, I guess it would be a good idea if we could have photos of them here, so we could designate them and relate comments to those designations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin