Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,661   Online: 869

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

35mm Cartridges ...

Does anyone have any suggestions/ recommendations for commercial "reloadable" 35mm cartridges? I've recently returned to bulk film and after struggling to produce 16 rolls of film in whatever cartridges I've had hanging around here from the dim past, have decided to go the "high road" and buy some fresh. I'll list the expense under "fingernail hygene".

Who is using what? I've contemplated "Plastic with screw-on caps"; Metal DX and non-DX coded (I can use either...). Security (I've had a couple of supposedly properly assembled rolls fall apart) and ease of use - should be able to disassemble to remove the film without total destrction - are necessarily important.

Thanks in advance.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer the plastic ones. I find them far harder to open accidentally (sometimes the metal ones will have an end pop off during slightly rough handling). They do seem to have a little more friction to them, though, which bothers some motor driven cameras, although the problem is not major.

The plastic ones never come with DX coding, although Porter's used to sell (and perhaps does) foil DX labels you can apply.

Metal ones are nice because you can get them pre-coded to ISO 100 and 400. Even if I don't normally care, when you're under time duress, and using a compatible body, DX coding can be a real convenience at times.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use Kalt brand metal ones with DX, and the ends have stayed on.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Kalt Metal ones without DX. They are somewhat fragile- just don't drop them.
    I will NEVER stop developing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've always had problems with the metal ones, which usually turned out to be Kalt. Last time I ordered some, a few arrived pre-FUBAR'd from Adorama. Sent them all back and ordered plastic. I can get multiple reloads w/ the same plastic casette, but maybe only one with the metal ones. You can drop the plastic and they keep on going.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'm still using freebies...

and have had good luck. I do spend a few minutes working on each cassette, though. I pop off the end from which the spool protrudes, then straighten the cap and make the gap for the cassette body very slightly wider. They all seem to seat securely when assembled, though I try to not drop them for fear of the cap popping off.

I remove the old film end so that I can tape the new film to the spool. I had bad luck early in my efforts when new stock taped to the old film end got caught in the light trap during the rewind, stripping the sprocket holes.

I'll reload them four or five times, then go get more for the local c41 shop.

Jo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I, too, have used and reused the non-DX metal Kalt cassettes with reliable results. Yes, the caps can pop off when dropped. Worse things happen when we drop other photo gear. It's a good idea to clean the felt light traps regularly. It's neater to tape the film to the spools from Kodak cassettes than to the original Kalt spools. The plastic cassettes may be more convenient, but I prefer metal cassettes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the metal ones from Freestyle http://www.freestylephoto.biz/183125...tridge-25-pack
    And I've had no problems so far.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I buy the Kalt ones from B&H because they're easy to get. Porter's does sell DX labels, if you need them, but I noticed when I looked recently that they didn't have them for 400, curiously.

Good to see you posting again, Ed!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are there actually several manufacturers of reusable cartrigdes?

I only know of AP in Spain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin