Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,618   Online: 1132

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Disposable 35mm cameras

Let's discuss disposable cameras. Some disposables have flashes and some are waterproof and then there are the cheapest 'daylight' ones.

They probably use a hyperfocal, smallish aperture lens...that's why they say to stand back 'at least 5 feet' or whatever. But what about further exposure controls? Are they simply fixed 'sunny 11' or something and let the developing minilab 'fix' everything in the printing?

CVS has a deal with a 'free film for life' if you get photos developed there. You buy the cheap camera for like $10 and I guess they return it to you full after they get it developed.

What's your favorite disposable camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know, I've never used one, but my daughter used a Kodak with built-in flash that took surprisingly good photos. I'm sure it has a hyperfocal lens, and maybe even some rudimentary AE brain, but it made me think that it could possibly work quite well as a grab-shot or street photo camera.

Best,

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak made one with a glass Ektar lens.Very nice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Remember they're not really disposable. Don't throw them out when you've finished the film!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    BS, before you sign up for the lifetime supply, you may want to try some of CVS's film and have it processed/printed and see how it is. You get what you pay for (except at Sears, as I used to say), so free film may be ok or not. Also, you may want to try some other films in your disposable, and see how they work too. Just my 2 cents, before taxes...

paulie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    CVS has a deal with a 'free film for life' if you get photos developed there. You buy the cheap camera for like $10 and I guess they return it to you full after they get it developed.
    My wife used to carry around disposable cameras with her so that she could shoot photos of scenes for her paintings. Last year Walgreens offered the same kind of "free film" camera deal, and so she bought one. I think she had it reloaded once; the prints were so bad that they were useless even for her to paint from. In other words, either the camera is crap, or the film, or both. She has used both Kodak and Walgreen brand disposables, however, and had good results. But the "refillable for life" cameras suck!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As there are only 4 color film makers left, EK, Fuji, Lucky and Ferrina it is a safe bet that the film will be OK. The last house film I saw at CVS was Ferrnia.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is basically the same as a disposable camera but reloadable:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/filmcame...bf/design.html
    http://fujifilm.jp/personal/filmcame...tbf/specs.html

It's a discontinued model in Japan, but I've seen it in stores recently. It usually sells for around 2,000 yen (20USD).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They're more likely fixed to overexpose quite a bit in daylight. The latitude of the film will compensate for it, and it would provide better low light performance, especially with the flash. That doesn't help those of us who want to print in a darkroom.

I wouldn't get the $10 camera. Get the $5 Olympus Trip 35 (mid 1970s, try ebay) or the Nikon L35AF. The former includes exposure compensation and has a real lens which will outshoot pro zooms and the latter even includes (gasp) autofocus! There are much better cameras for no money at all. Don't waste your time.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was thinking of trying to crack the lens on one and see if I can get Picasso-like abstract distortion. However, after looking at one more closely, the lens is awfully small, so I'm not sure if that would work...
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin