Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,528   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Augh! My F2's prism is broken!

I have no clue what happened. I was out shooting when all of the sudden, the aperture ring became difficult to turn. So I popped off the lens and put it back on to realize that the pin on the prism would not drop into the notch on the prong. Somehow, something in the prism had become bent or something and the pin was now a few more mm away from the body than it was before, and so it won't drop into the notch.

Suggestions/help please?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How handy are you? comfortable with lots (and I mean lots) of tiny bits lying on a bench and confident you can reassemble it? If you're up to it, I have the service manual for the DP1 as well as the adjustment procedures.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    So is the prism broken? As in cracked? Or is it a mechanical problem with the aperture pin?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Mike,

Sounds like it's a mechanical issue with the pantogram mechanism behind the nameplate. Decent DP-1's aren't too expensive, if the OP doesn't feel comfortable tearing into the mechanism to see why the pin won't engage. My FTn finder doesn't like the triangular coupling shoes used on some of the older non-AI Nikkors. Could be an alignment problem, since the only lens I've tried that has one, is my 35f2 Nikkor-O, which, at one time, in my infinite wisdom, I converted to said coupling shoe. Probably didn't get it aligned properly when I did the conversion.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/135/3.5-4.5 AIS, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel fine taking apart the prism. Besides, I didn't pay much for this camera, and I have another 35mm Nikon to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just realized what happened. I dropped my camera a few days ago and it landed on the top of the prism. I checked it out to make sure it was working and it seemed fine. I guess some parts inside must have shifted/bent and once I took off the lens, all the tension on the bent parts was released. So now it seems that the prism is beyond repair. I think I'm going to go for an FM with a working meter, as that seems to be cheaper than buying a working DP-1.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    I feel fine taking apart the prism.
    That's the easy bit. Putting it back together is the difficult bit!

Steve (owner of many spare parts which used to be broken cameras).
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had the same thing happen to my F2. I opened it up and straightened the linkage at the front of the prism and it works fine. Didn't take more than 1/2 hour to complete the repair.

-Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will the prism that's for sale in the APUG classified section fit your camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Will the prism that's for sale in the APUG classified section fit your camera?
    I'm not sure which prism you're referring to. Can you point it out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin