Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,940   Online: 940

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's an idea?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Not all camera's have DX coding none of my 15 or so 35mm camera's has it

Ian

Ian, you be an retrosnob!!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can I get DX coding on my 120 film cameras?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't think DX coding is something you get, I think it's something you've got or don't got

As I recall, the Fuji GA645Zi has DX coding. I guess my 645 af has it, I dunno. Irony is, I never trust it when the camera I'm using does have it. But it always works. But I don't trust it. But it always works....

But let me just say (in all semi-seriousness) that I don't see why someone would take pride in doing reciprocity corrections. I'd say reciprocity falls into the category of those logarithmically brainless activities that take time away from actual composition. So the original poster's intentions are good, and if film camera development had continued full steam then I'm quite sure that cameras and perhaps also light meters would offer DX-coded automatic reciprocity correction.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Heck, I am still looking for a filter that improved the composition just prior to the shutter releasing!
    Steve
    I'm looking for a camera that doesn't need a photographer and makes 1st class shots.
    Just buy a ticket on the plane, it will go visit NY, Paris what else. And when It comes back, you got all the film

I've had an interesting situation with a friend:
    [I show him my OM-1]
    Friend: Wow, nice one. Does it take nice photos?
    I: Well, all depends of the photographer. It doesn't take photos by itself.
    -[I put the camera on the table with the film cocked and ready, no selftimer]
    -[wait 15 sec.]
    I: See, It hasn't taken any photo.
    Friend: (weird wink)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    Is there a film camera that can be programed so it knows what the reciprocity law failure is for the particular film loaded?
    I sincerely hope this never happens, It's bad enough when your employer makes you redundant, but even worse if your cameras do it to you.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    No.
    OK I was thinking it might be in in the Nikon F6 or Canon cameras that seem to be digital in every sense except for the film transport mechanism. Although if it had been done I would expect it to come from Canon or Minolta than from anybody else. Yeah Minolta, sounds like the sort of thing they would have done!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'd need more than DX encoding for this. The camera would need to know the exact film, and those are modified in ways that change reciprocity characteristics periodically, so a preprogrammed compensation feature would go out of date. For color it would need to dial in filtration, and that would also change with improved emulsions. You could have the camera prompt the user for a Schwarzschild exponent, but that would confuse 99.99% of the market, and even those that know what that means may not know it offhand for the particular film they have loaded.

In the end, it's one of those things that people who need it will do better than the camera. For the way I work, even setting a normal length exposure falls into that category 99% of the time.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Ajuk;

From my reading of the manual for the Minolta Maxxum 9 / Dynax 9, not even that "feature" ridden product of "the Mind of Minolta" has that capability, even though the shutter is capable of getting you into that territory. Normally, reciprocity failure is not really a problem until you get to about 1 second or less than about 1/10,000 of a second. Except for a few people using cameras in certain scientific study, most people are not concerned about this film deficiency.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What about high intensity reciprocity failure, such as with flash? Reciprocity failure isn't only encountered in long exposures.

RE: my comments above about DX coding, I'm not saying that the existing DX codes can furnish enough info for auto reciprocity correction, I'm saying that the coding method of transferring film info to the camera could easily be expanded to provide correction.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    You'd need more than DX encoding for this. The camera would need to know the exact film, and those are modified in ways that change reciprocity characteristics periodically, so a preprogrammed compensation feature would go out of date. For color it would need to dial in filtration, and that would also change with improved emulsions. You could have the camera prompt the user for a Schwarzschild exponent, but that would confuse 99.99% of the market, and even those that know what that means may not know it offhand for the particular film they have loaded.

Lee
    Yeah that's why I thought of those last gen camera that could possibly recive an updated database by being connected to a PC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin