Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,517   Online: 850

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Advise on fixing a T90

Hi,

my T90 is dead (blinking cursor, no firing). I already had a new shutter fit in some years ago, but it crashed again.

Do you have a good and reliable address for this ?

Has somebody tried www.camera-care.com for this ?

Cheers
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    No errr message? Tried changing the batteries, pressing BC, and pressing the stop down lever? A last resort (that has worked for some) for a sticking shutter is to take the lens off, then holding the shutter button down, bring the camera down smartly on a pillow or hand.

You can buy a T90 for £60-£80 so it could be cheaper than repair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll find many satisfied T90 users (I'm one!) with referrals for http://www.cameraclinic-usa.com/.
    You can contact Steve Swearingen (steven40@aol.com) for good prices, good service, good communication and quick turnaround times for those of us in the USA. Being across the pond, shipping might be more and the wait a little longer, but I see no reason why the service would be any less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I highly recommend Steven Serota at Classic Camera Workshop mailto:info@camera-care.com. He fixed my T90 last year, cost ($99) was reasonable, return shipping (within the US) was included. I have a few EOS to send him this year. He's getting all my service now!
    Last edited by flatulent1; 01-19-2009 at 09:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I should digest what I've just read before I spew nonsense.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    No errr message? Tried changing the batteries, pressing BC, and pressing the stop down lever? A last resort (that has worked for some) for a sticking shutter is to take the lens off, then holding the shutter button down, bring the camera down smartly on a pillow or hand.

You can buy a T90 for £60-£80 so it could be cheaper than repair.
    Yes, I tried all of these... there's no err message.

I'm not sure whether I'll have it repaired some day or not (the EOS3 is a very good replacement) but it makes me so sick to see it there that I may have it fixed just to keep my happiness.
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I'm not sure whether I'll have it repaired some day or not (the EOS3 is a very good replacement) but it makes me so sick to see it there that I may have it fixed just to keep my happiness.
    I know how you feel, the Canon T90 is an excellent camera and with the matching speedlite 300tl there is enough options to keep you looking at the manuals to use em all. Mind you with that combo plus a zoom it's very heavy.

There is one design fault that annoys me and that is:- You have to trust that the camera has wound the film on...last week my other camera a T70 which has similar mechanism did not do this and showed film loaded and it was only when I started going past 24 shots (26) with no LCD blinkin, started to become suspicious...they say put the leader of the film to the red dot but I now tuck it in further.
    The problem might have been that the film was tight in the cassette, but I miss the re-wind lever on older cameras to check.

Anyway good luck with your T90.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are many newer, better cameras available, but I think the T90 is worth fixing. I have an EOS 3, 1V, 5D and so forth, but the T90 is my principal camera.

At the very least, contact a repairman, find out what the problem is, and how much to repair it. Set yourself a price threshold, beyond which you will be willing to toss the camera and replace it.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've just had my T90 fixed without needing a new shutter by a repair outfit a few miles away in Milton Keynes. Could be worth a phone call. My bill was £60.

Camera Repair Workshop
    9 Wharfside, Fenny Stratford
    Bletchley, Buckinghamshire
    MK2 2AZ
    Telephone: +44(0)1908 378088

(Bletchley is part of Milton Keynes)

Hope you get it sorted.

M Stewart
    Milton keynes, UK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks all for your advises and addresses. I might get it fixed simply because I love it, and also because it's very lightweight (compared to my EOS3 + BPE2 booster) and has all I need in 35mm. Apart from this shutter issue, it's absolutely mint so it may still be a good idea.
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin