Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,254   Online: 865

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a 17mm F4 NFD(FDn) lens for a while, and I liked using in woods. I think it was to me an extreme close-up lens to get really close to some parts of the nature in landscape. But that was about it.

After selling it I got a 20mm F2.8 NFD lens, and I like this one better because it's more of a true wide-angle lens than an extreme close-up lens that the 17mm was, at least to me. It's just a matter of one's preference, I think.

Shooter
    35mm
    My widest lens in FD mount is a 19/3.8 Vivitar. Focusing is not very bright but the lens is OK if it is closed down a little. My 17mm lenses are an f/3.5 Vivitar in Konica mount and an f/3.5 Tokina in Minolta MD mount. The Vivitar is also made by Tokina but has slightly different cosmetics. Both 17s are decent performers. I like using wide lenses with a grid type focusing screen so I can keep the horizon lined up more easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like super wides I have a Nikon 14mm and a 16mm Fisheye (also I am after either or a 18mm, 20mm or 24mm f2) and have used both around car racing, in the pits or sooting graveyards, for a college project.

I love the way the world loooks through them and if I go college again next year, I may do a "World though 114 dgress of vew" theme or something like that..

I have Canon gear so my go looking for a cheap 17mm as so many seem to rave about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the 17mm Tamron I use on a Canon AE1. One of the great things to do with it is street photography - from the hip, so to speak. Since at f11 practically everything is in focus, I just keep the camera on my chest (at the end of the neck strap) and shoot away. There is some distortion in subjects very close in, but the feeling is of being in the crowd. It also keeps folks from staring at you because you have a camera pointed in their direction.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    I like using wide lenses with a grid type focusing screen so I can keep the horizon lined up more easily.
    Thats a good tip. Ill have to look into getting a grid screen. thx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I recently acquired a 17mm f4 lens for Canon FD system.

My widest lens for 35mm thus far has been 28mm.
    I went for a walk in the local nature area and I must say, shooting with a 17mm is a totally different experience.

I really like the way the 17mm works with trees. With other lenses, its is a rare occasion that you have enough room to get the whole tree in frame. And the perspective works well as it can accentuate the size of the trunk, especially nice with massive oaks. Another nice thing about it is that you can single out one tree, its neighbors quickly diminish in size.
    So, what you're saying is;
    " you CAN see the tree for the forest."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I generally use my FD 17mm f/4.0:

1. When I want major distortion
    2. When I am inside of a cramped space

I got lucky. I got it in a lot of FD equipment on E-Bay, along with a 55mm f/1.2, F-1 (old), FTb, 200mm IF, Haliburton case, Viv 283 and Toshiba handle mount flashes, Speed Finder, low light meter for FTb, and a few more things, all for $350, and all in like-new condition. I had been wanting to acquire all of these lenses anyhow, so it worked out perfectly for me.

I have used it rarely. But it has really helped for certain situations.

BTW, I have a friend who is selling the 17mm Tokina for Canon FD, if anyone is interested. He bought it brand new, and does not use it any more because he ran his T70 into the ground and has gone digital.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Brasilia, 14-28mm zoom at 14mm.
    This lens is distortion free over the full range.

Love those ultra's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8047-web-kl.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got two lenses in that general range: a 16mm fisheye and a 20mm rectilinear. I like them both, although the fisheye is both more fun and more demanding because it's a fisheye. My own preference with both lenses is to get close to a relatively small object or part of the scene so that it fills maybe 1/4 to 1/2 the frame, leaving the rest of the frame as context. For instance (shot with my 16mm on Velvia 50):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snowy-park.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    I used an 18mm Nikkor and found it quite interesting. It gives a kind of additional dynamics to images with horizontal lines driving the eye to the center, if you see what I mean. Hope I'm clear enough:rolleyes:
    However, I found the extent of distortion (barrel type) quite frustrating. Although we can play with this aberration to increase visual effects. As I shoot lots of landscapes, I also found it difficult to keep the horizon really parallel to the frame, it always went up a bit on one side or the other making it looked curved.
    A good solution to this was the purchase of a 17-35mm zoom, zooming more toward 20mm or so than keeping to 17mm in some critical situations. But, it is incredible how the difference between 17 and 20mm seems huge...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin