Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,047   Online: 903

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be careful about the 50/1.8 AI-S. There are three versions:

1) Original. Has the shoe that couples to the metering pin on meter-equipped non-AI cameras. Widely considered to be the best, other than...
    2) Japanese pancake lens. Hard to find, and expensive for a 50/1.8. I've never used one, but I read a lot of positive reviews about it.
    3) Last version. No meter coupling shoe. It's the same as the Series E lens, but with improved multicoating. It's a good lens, but not as good as the other two.

Most 50/1.8 AI-S lenses on the market are version 3.

I don't think there was a 50/1.8 AI. The slow 50 in the AI world was the 50/2, which is a fantastic lens.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Stephanie;

If you can find the old reviews of the Nikkor lenses, you might notice that the f 1.4 and f 1.2 lenses are praised for their bright vewfinder image that really helps in low light focusing. The f 1.8 and f 2.0 lenses do seem to have better resolution qualities when we stop down to our normal picture taking aperture. This difference becomes apparent when we look at the data in the test charts.

If you want to "look good," get the f 1.4 or the f 1.2. If you want to take good photographs, seriously think about the f 1.8 or the f 2.0. Even Nikon found that there are limits to how far you can stretch the laws of optical physics.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Anyway, to tell you more of the same kind of story, there was a time, again I was on a date with another girl, and this time I had a non Ai 35mm F2 Nikkor lens on my FM.

I wasn't aware that non-AI lenses would fit on an FM/FE...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Auto-Indexing tab folds up on the FM/FE/F4. There may be other models as well.

-Fred

Shooter
    35mm
    There was an AI version of the 50/1.8, I used to have one and KEH usually has it in stock for about $100. Here is a link to a very nice database of Nikkor lenses: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/niko...es.html#50slow

The F3 series also had the folding tab, and I believe you could have Nikon add this to the F5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stephanie,

This is my suggestion for you, dirty cheap and top performance!

Remember, it's the HC you want, not the H.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think I'm going to end up shopping KEH for a bargain-grade AI 1.4. Either that or the SC-1.4, which is also apparently good. I really do need the speed with my kid, I think, and it can't hurt to have it even if I don't end up needing it right away.

At the moment, she's stacking plastic cups on the top of my salt container. Who needs toys, anyway?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 50/1.4 AI lens and have been very happy with it. As others here have stated, the old 50/2 is well worth considering. When I first began acquiring Nikon gear about 20 years ago, more than a few old-time Nikon users told me that the 50/2 was the finest Nikkor made. I owned one for a while -- it came with a body I bought -- but I was enamored by the 1.4 speed of my current lens and sold the 50/2. Probaby should have kept it. Also, because it's "only" an f/2, they can typically be had for a song.

Here's one on eBay with no bids. Looks to be an AI:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKKOR-50-MM-LEN...QQcmdZViewItem

Best,

Michael
    Last edited by cooltouch; 01-21-2009 at 11:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Be careful about the 50/1.8 AI-S. There are three versions:

1) Original. Has the shoe that couples to the metering pin on meter-equipped non-AI cameras. Widely considered to be the best, other than...
    2) Japanese pancake lens. Hard to find, and expensive for a 50/1.8. I've never used one, but I read a lot of positive reviews about it.
    3) Last version. No meter coupling shoe. It's the same as the Series E lens, but with improved multicoating. It's a good lens, but not as good as the other two.

Most 50/1.8 AI-S lenses on the market are version 3.

The slow 50 in the AI world was the 50/2, which is a fantastic lens.
    ...b, bu, but can you see the difference in say a 8X10" print. Likewise the 50/2 compared to 50/1.8 stopped down to f2 or any other f stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure if you could tell on an 8x10... probably. But on an 11x14, the difference would be much more pronounced.

8x10 isn't all that big! 35mm is easily capable of quality 11x14 enlargements.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin