Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,708   Posts: 1,482,881   Online: 1046

Shooter
    35mm

Broke the meter on my AT-1

I have a canon AT-1 that I took on vacation; unfortunately I dropped it and the battery popped out and got lost in the snow. When I got home I got a new battery for it but now the meter does not work. It's as if the needle in the viewfinder is disconnected, because the 'battery check' function does not work either, although all the shutter speeds seem to work. I know it's a long shot, but I thought maybe there was a very common failure mode for these that could be fixed easily. It's worth a try. Maybe I'll try dropping it again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, there may well be a problem with water in the circuit. If you can, get an estimate for repairing it, but before you send it in to get repaired, have you thoguht of buying a light meter? I haven't used the camera's light meter for some time, mainly because none of the cameras I own have light meters that work. Many years ago I bought a Lunasix F light meter and it can be used as a spot meter or by using it with plastic cap on, it gives an overall impression of light. As you say the shutter works but battery check and needle don't then it may well be an electric fault. Maybe some snow and melted into the electrics and rusted them. The shutter may well be mechanical. Mind you, if you are going to drop it again, which is not a thing I would recommend, then buy a mechanical camera and use it with an independent light meter. Hope this helps.
    Phil

Shooter
    35mm
    The shutter is electronic. But I was thinking just this morning on the way to work that at least I can leave it in the lab and use it to take pictures there. I've used the camera enough to know that indoors it almost certainly should be shot wide open at 1/60th with 800 speed film. I really do need to buy a light meter though, especially a spot meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's funny, I have a few AT-1's, they're great cameras, but I have no idea if they function without battery power. If they do, shoot print film and learn the sunny 16 rule. I'm finding there's something liberating about shooting without leaning on technology. Not much choice with a 1940's Zeiss folder...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    35mm
    They don't work without battery power, for the record.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin