Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,730   Online: 891

Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    My earliest is an SV, which has the same lever. I should probably use it more, it does suffer from shutter capping but this seems to cease with a bit of exercise. I flushed the mechanism out with lighter fluid and added a few drops of light oil a few months ago which helped.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used several different brands over the years...always wanted to try a Leica. I've had a number of different Nikons and my most favourite would be the Nikon F Photomic. Well made and reliable when I bought one new in 1969 (that one was stolen) and now the one I have in 2012 is still functioning with out a problem. I really enjoyed the Nikkormat ELW for many years as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The original Asahi Pentax was the prototype of all SLRs that followed.

Close, but some Germans beat them!

You see, back in 1954 Wirgin introduced their Edixa Reflex:

It had lever wind on the right side. Film reminder dial around the rewind. The typical bottom location of the film rewind button, and the centered tripod socket... The prism was interchangeable though and Wirgin introduced automatic aperture operation in 1956... it took a while for Pentax to adopt. Of course the Pentax had an instant return mirror and the Edixa didn't.

The Edixa is oddly forgotten today. Kind of like how people forget Topcon's contributions to the development of the SLR.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    I recently bought an Exa 1a and while I have only shot one roll of film with it so far, I found it a delightful camera to use.
    They can be a lot of fun, although the right side winding and left side shutter button is a little bit more akward than the fully left handed Exakta, and obviously unnatural compared to any other camera. xD The top shutter speed is also a bit limiting, but 100ASA film is fine with me!

Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    Awesome!! Who needs an EVF?
    I prefer the WLF to pentaprism viewing. In fact I only have one film SLR with a fixed prism. The exa's WLF does however have a built in "sports finder" that can be useful for panning shots - but is more essentially for portraits!

My Miranda D which is another of my favorites also sports interchangeable viewfinders:

Untitled by berangberang, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F / F2.

But, things like a Leicaflex SL2, Leica CL, Leica M3, Contax RF series, and a few others are right up there too. The Nikons are at the top because there is no other camera system out there which provides the combination of durability, reliability, performance, versatility, and low cost.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Praktica Super TL. Well made, bright and large view finder, very smooth and silent cloth shutter, great ergonomics, small and light. And it was really cheap. That was the last of the great Prakticas IMO. Later models I do not like as much. Oh, and it was my first real camera ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    I love shooting with my FE2 (large range of shutter speeds, aperture priority, bright clear viewfinder, compact and unobtrusive), however the F2 really does exude quality - feels absolutely fantastic.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    XPAN, always the XPAN. Although I shoot my Leica M4 more often.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    Close, but some Germans beat them!

You see, back in 1954 Wirgin introduced their Edixa Reflex:

It had lever wind on the right side. Film reminder dial around the rewind. The typical bottom location of the film rewind button, and the centered tripod socket... The prism was interchangeable though and Wirgin introduced automatic aperture operation in 1956... it took a while for Pentax to adopt. Of course the Pentax had an instant return mirror and the Edixa didn't.

The Edixa is oddly forgotten today. Kind of like how people forget Topcon's contributions to the development of the SLR.
    Do you have another reference for the 1954 Wirgin Edixa Reflex? This site states a different year -> Edixa Reflex (1957). Perhaps a different model?

Of course arguably the single biggest advancement that opened the SLR floodgate was Asahi's instant - and automatic, mirror return.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Do you have another reference for the 1954 Wirgin Edixa Reflex? This site states a different year -> Edixa Reflex (1957). Perhaps a different model?

Of course arguably the single biggest advancement that opened the SLR floodgate was Asahi's instant - and automatic, mirror return.

Yes the Edixa line was well established, and actually quite popular by 1957.
    A list of the variations of the Edixa Reflex is found here: http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~aab900/phot...ras/edixas.htm
    Another page about the history of the Edixa Reflex is this one: http://photobutmore.de/vintagephoto/edixa/modelle/

My personal experience playing with old SLRs is that the automatic diaphragm was a more important advancement than the instant return mirror. Having to stop down the lens manually can easily cost you a great candid photo opportunity. Not that Edixa invented the auto diaphragm, it was introduced for the M42 mount the same year by Pentacon, and had already been implemented a few years earlier on the Praktina. As well as there were the Exakta style pressure activated diaphgrams used by a few companies.
    Last edited by Yashinoff; 11-02-2012 at 02:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin