Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,965   Posts: 1,632,493   Online: 997

Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313536373839404142434445 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Praktica Super TL. Well made, bright and large view finder, very smooth and silent cloth shutter, great ergonomics, small and light. And it was really cheap. That was the last of the great Prakticas IMO. Later models I do not like as much. Oh, and it was my first real camera ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    I love shooting with my FE2 (large range of shutter speeds, aperture priority, bright clear viewfinder, compact and unobtrusive), however the F2 really does exude quality - feels absolutely fantastic.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    XPAN, always the XPAN. Although I shoot my Leica M4 more often.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    Close, but some Germans beat them!

You see, back in 1954 Wirgin introduced their Edixa Reflex:

It had lever wind on the right side. Film reminder dial around the rewind. The typical bottom location of the film rewind button, and the centered tripod socket... The prism was interchangeable though and Wirgin introduced automatic aperture operation in 1956... it took a while for Pentax to adopt. Of course the Pentax had an instant return mirror and the Edixa didn't.

The Edixa is oddly forgotten today. Kind of like how people forget Topcon's contributions to the development of the SLR.
    Do you have another reference for the 1954 Wirgin Edixa Reflex? This site states a different year -> Edixa Reflex (1957). Perhaps a different model?

Of course arguably the single biggest advancement that opened the SLR floodgate was Asahi's instant - and automatic, mirror return.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Do you have another reference for the 1954 Wirgin Edixa Reflex? This site states a different year -> Edixa Reflex (1957). Perhaps a different model?

Of course arguably the single biggest advancement that opened the SLR floodgate was Asahi's instant - and automatic, mirror return.

Yes the Edixa line was well established, and actually quite popular by 1957.
    A list of the variations of the Edixa Reflex is found here: http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~aab900/phot...ras/edixas.htm
    Another page about the history of the Edixa Reflex is this one: http://photobutmore.de/vintagephoto/edixa/modelle/

My personal experience playing with old SLRs is that the automatic diaphragm was a more important advancement than the instant return mirror. Having to stop down the lens manually can easily cost you a great candid photo opportunity. Not that Edixa invented the auto diaphragm, it was introduced for the M42 mount the same year by Pentacon, and had already been implemented a few years earlier on the Praktina. As well as there were the Exakta style pressure activated diaphgrams used by a few companies.
    Last edited by Yashinoff; 11-02-2012 at 01:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like many others here, I, too, struggle to decide on a single 35mm camera as my favorite. Rather, I can reduce my favorites down to three: my F6 for its precision when shooting chromes; my F2AS as my "insurance policy" when shooting out in the middle of nowhere (no batteries? no problem!); and my M6 (with the 50 Summilux ASPH) when I am strolling around town with no particular destination in mind.

Shooter
    35mm
    Of all the cameras I own I have say I like the Konica T3 the best.

Konica T3 by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favorite 35mm would have to be my only camera: a Nikon F2 Photomic.

Shooter
    35mm

Avanar 23mm lens by berangberang, on Flickr

I've been using this one the most all year. I'm really drawn to simple cameras lately. Shutter speeds 1/30-1/500, who needs more? I think the reason I like this camera so much is because of the large, bright viewfinder.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Favorite camera

M3, but I'm scared to use it in public so I put the Summicron on a Bessa. I have a wonderful and Immaculate black Nikon F but I'm scared to use it so I use my beater F2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin