Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,836   Online: 719

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34383940414243444546 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Your Favorite 35mm Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Once you get used to it, the OM4's meter is just wonderful. I don't consider it "bloated with features" because, except for the metering system, it's pretty straightforward. The OM3 has the same meter, but no automation and a mechanical shutter.

Be sure you get a later 4 or a 4t, early ones ate batteries like M&Ms and were responible in large part for my switch to all-mechanical Nikons.
    One of the awesome things with the 4 is the way it shows the current shutter speed in manual mode in the finder. I love that.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kk guys I will try to give a OM-4 some love when a semi affordable one is available. So a 4 (no T) is OK on batteries if it is late model? What is 'late' ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dsmccrac View Post
    Kk guys I will try to give a OM-4 some love when a semi affordable one is available. So a 4 (no T) is OK on batteries if it is late model? What is 'late' ?
    Switch the battery check on, if it stops buzzing after 30 seconds it is a late model circuit and you are good to go. My OM4 is great on batteries with this circuit.

Shooter
    35mm
    The OM4's meter is a fantastic addition. I just wished they had kept the viewfinder magnification the same as the OM1&2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The OM4's meter is a fantastic addition. I just wished they had kept the viewfinder magnification the same as the OM1&2.
    Well, they added the adjustable eyepiece. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am becoming more and more endeared to my new-to-me RTS. It is heavy for my taste (my last 35 was an OM-1). But it DOES perform.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Well, they added the adjustable eyepiece. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
    Since I still have good eyesight, I don't need the built-in diopter adjustment and much prefer the huge HD viewfinders of the OM1&2 and Pentax MX/ME. But hey, almost 30 years later, none of this matters except enjoying them. Of course what's most important when picking up one of these classics is that they have that "PASSED" sticker . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Since I still have good eyesight, I don't need the built-in diopter adjustment and much prefer the huge HD viewfinders of the OM1&2 and Pentax MX/ME. But hey, almost 30 years later, none of this matters except enjoying them. Of course what's most important when picking up one of these classics is that they have that "PASSED" sticker . . .

Well, I've never had good eyesight. One of the quibbles I had with all of the OMs was that I could not see the entire frame with my glasses on, cannot see anything clearly beyond 10~12 inches without glasses. So the adjustable diopter on the 3 and 4 meant that I could at least use them without an accessory, but alas I had to use them without glasses, meaning that my glasses were constantly going on and off - an unacceptable process. The Nikon F was a revelation the first time I looked through the finder - I could see the whole frame with glasses! This, plus the fact that with an F what you see is exactly what you get, compounded by the fact that the early 4 I had used batteries like a junkie uses heroin, meant the Olympus system was going down the road.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    One of the awesome things with the 4 is the way it shows the current shutter speed in manual mode in the finder. I love that.
    'Awesome' is a horribly misused and abused word.The only thing worse is "totally awesome". Both my 40+ year old Nikons show the shutter speed in the finder. They work without batteries, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon F3/T
    Everything I want (AE/built like a brick/not too big/looks gorgeous/"quiet"/smoooooth film advance/80-20 CW meter), nothing I don't
    Pros choice for over a decade

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin