Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,626   Online: 1000

Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is kind of a philosophical or cultural or sociological or psychological twist to the topic. I somehow get the impression that Nikon and Leica owners are more likely to "love" their cameras more than Canon owners, whereas Canon owners are more likely to take a more pragmatic attitude toward their cameras, perhaps viewing them as the most suitable tools for their photographic tasks but without emotional overtones.

Any comments?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    Here is kind of a philosophical or cultural or sociological or psychological twist to the topic. I somehow get the impression that Nikon and Leica owners are more likely to "love" their cameras more than Canon owners, whereas Canon owners are more likely to take a more pragmatic attitude toward their cameras, perhaps viewing them as the most suitable tools for their photographic tasks but without emotional overtones.

Any comments?
    Probably so. Nikon and Leica have more of a fan (or cult) following. My guess is that the almost folklore-like stories associated with Nikon and Leica users of yesteryear have fueled the following. Stories about Life Magazine's Leica-toting photographers and Vietnam war photographers shooting in the bomb-infested jungles with their Nikon F's turned these cameras into legends. Other than the recent era of sports shooters with their "white" Canon lenses or the ocassional wedding photographers shooting with their EOS 1D Mark whatevers, Canon doesn't really have that much of a cult following. Yes, there are a few who swear by their old Caonon rangefinders, but a quick look at their resale prices compared to Nikon or Leica rangefinders of the same period will tell the story. while Canon made fantastic film cameras (like their old F1 series), there seemed to be more "war stories" about Nikons and Leicas.

I have been a Nikon fan for over 25 years, but I would love to own a Contax RTS III with some Zeiss glass someday. While I'm at it, I would also like an Olympus OM3 with a few Zuiko primes! I wouldn't even mind owning a Minolta 9 or a Pentax LX for that matter!

p.s. My first 35mm camera was a Pentax K1000 back in the late 1970's. I was happy with it until I started working as an assistant to a pro photographer who informed me that if I was serious about photography I needed to get a Nikon. He used Nikons to record the war in Vietnam, therefore I believed he knew what he was talking about, so I followed his advice!
    Last edited by snegron; 02-15-2009 at 09:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Forgot to add

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    I have been a Nikon fan for over 25 years, but I would love to own a Contax RTS III with some Zeiss glass someday. While I'm at it, I would also like an Olympus OM3 with a few Zuiko primes! I wouldn't even mind owning a Minolta 9 or a Pentax LX for that matter!
    You say that as if the LX and 9 are bad cameras! I think that for name brand SLRs, one is just as good as the other, really; Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Konica, Minolta, Leica, Rollei, etc all made good bodies and optics. It's just that we prefer one over the others.

Like me. I'm a Pentax guy, and my favorite has to be my KX... like a Spotmatic, but better! But I'm also partial to Nikon, and I'm sure that there's an F4 in my future, and just as certain that I'll love it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me it would have be the T-90. Great all around camera, fantastic meter, great build quality, and after shooting with them for years they just fit my hands, or perhaps my hands fit them, but they feel so natural and prefect to me. Second place would be my first gen F1 cause its so simple and so damn tough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favorite one is the orignial F-1. A strong and easy to use camera.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Of all I've ever used, owned, or now own it would have to be a Leicaflex SL.
    The Leica R8 is pretty close behind the SL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Favorite camera?

Probably the Minolta X-700. It is compact, light weight, it takes all of my Minolta glass, and with the MD-1 Motor Drive on it, it "just fits my hand."

Snegron mentioned the Minolta Maxxum 9 or Dynax 9. I have one of those also. The way that it fits my hand is not the same as the Minolta X-700. The shutter release switch seems to be slightly in the wrong place. I need to make a deliberate effort to get my finger to the shutter release. With the VC-9 Vertical Control Grip on the Maxxum 9, it is noticeably heavy. Anyone who has used a recent Digital Wonder Camera will feel right at home with the Maxxum 9.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Without doubt, the Olympus OM-2N, and the finest SLR SYSTEM ever produced, since copied by others. However, a OM-4Ti black body has just arrived and is yet to be tried. I have no doubt that this will become my favourite.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    ...Canon owners are more likely to take a more pragmatic attitude toward their cameras, perhaps viewing them as the most suitable tools for their photographic tasks but without emotional overtones.
    hmmm... what could be more "pragmatic" than loving my F2? thirty years and the damn thing still has to break. got me every picture i ever wanted

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    hmmm... what could be more "pragmatic" than loving my F2? thirty years and the damn thing still has to break. got me every picture i ever wanted

Well yeah!

I've been with my F2 since 1985....I ain't never even been with the same woman for that long.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin