Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,739   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 46 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Your Favorite 35mm Camera?

I was a bit surprised by this. I just conducted a search here, seeing if there's been a recent thread specifically on favorite 35s, and didn't run across one going back for a year. So, heck, I figured I'd start one. I'm always curious about what people consider to be the best and why. But I guess I should go first.

Currently I own a Nikon F2 with a decent assortment of lenses, plus an EOS Elan IIe, with a few zooms. I like both these cameras. I really like my old F2 -- a lot. But I gotta admit that my all-time favorite is Canon's original F-1 -- specifically the F-1n. Why? Many reasons. I like the fact that it is a system camera. I prefer match-needle metering. Its partial metering pattern makes for easy and correct metering, even in difficultly lit situations. It has mirror lock-up. And the ones I owned were utterly reliable. A close second to the F-1 would be the Nikon F2. Like the F-1, it's a system camera with a mirror-up capability, but no F2 models offered match needle metering. Its motor-drive option was superior to that for the F-1, but the F2's meters are more tempermental and prone to wearing out. I solved that problem with mine by installing the non-metered DE-1 finder. It's a close call, I'll admit.

Admittedly, the quality of available optics will influence one's preferences. When I was shooting Canon FD, I was quite happy with the quality of my photos, and cannot honestly say that the quality of the photos from the Nikkors I own now is any better.

Other 35mm cameras that I've owned and liked a lot enough such that they deserve an honorable mention have been the Canon FTb, Nikon F3, FM and FM2n, FE and FE2, Pentax KX, Olympus OM2, and, of course, the Leica M3. And I'm sure I've forgotten other greats.

So, which is your favorite, and why?

Best,

Michael

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Leica M6.

Why?
    Small. Simple. Quiet. Reliable. Tiny lenses of outstanding quality. And ... it's the only 35-mm film camera I own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favorite? The T90 has always been mine, even (especially) after I foolishly sold my first one after five or six years when I finally heed the call of autofocus.

There are many others I love, Nikon F4, EOS 1V and F1N preeminent amongst them. I would dearly love to have a Contax RTS III, but I have other misuses for my money. I have a special affection for cameras with knobs, T90 and 1V notwithstanding.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contax IIa.

Fantastic Sonnar 50mm lens and amazing build quality. A real joy to use and quite a looker as far as design.

Just need to add a 21mm Biogon and 85mm Sonnar... anyone out there with a lonely lens lying in a draw???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm torn between my FM3A and my F100. Don't know which one I'll take when it's my turn to be abducted by aliens.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I love my EOS-3 bodies, and I'm having the time of my life using them to shoot B&W pictures. I often bring all three with these lenses attached: Canon 35L F1.4, Canon 50L F1.2, and Canon 85mm F1.8. Often I have different ISO films in each. My daughters or friends are my "mules", as they tot the bodies I'm not using around their necks ;-)

For me, this is the perfect kit.
    Last edited by SilverGlow; 01-22-2009 at 12:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Canon A-1. A real tank, and the 50mm 1.4 FD lens is wonderful.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cameras, as we all know, are tools, one uses the proper tool for a given job. That being said, my desert island pick would be my Leica M6, as Kent said supra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Good question. For me; a close choice between the Minolta X-700 with the MD-1 Motor Drive that "just fits my hand," or one of the venerable Minolta SR-T 102 that has everything that I need in a mechanical camera.

Yes, I do have others. There are also Nikon F and F2. There are several other Minoltas, including RF. There is the 2.25 Square. There is even a 4 by 5, but you asked about my favorite. This supplemental information is provided to show that there is indeed a choice to be made.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, well it has to be the M6 for all the usual Leica reasons. OTOH I've just been having so much fun with an old Exakta VXIIb. OK it's slow to use but it is also quite beautiful in its odd way.

Jack

Page 1 of 46 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin