Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,171   Online: 819

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a issue with the foam in the prism on some/many OM1 and OM2 models. See http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware...s/FoamRemoval/.

Another drawback is the relative scarcity of very wide and very long lenses - at least relative to Nikon MF lenses. I don't mean that they don't exist, just that there's fewer of them out in the used marketplace.

That said, I really like the size, build quality, ergonomics (I have small hands), and optical quality of my OM-1n and OM-2. The OM-1 does require a 625 battery while the OM2 uses the more common 357 battery (or equivalent). Be aware that the OM-10 was a very different camera and not up to the quality of the other OM models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the 16mm and 18mm Zuikos are not easy to find and do command a good price. There are other options. The Tamron SP adaptall lenses include the 17mm, and a great 300mm f2.8. I use these and several others with my OMs, as well as the Zuikos.

The OM1 will operate without batteries which some find a plus (real manual camera). No meter, but the camera still functions. Any of the single digit OMs should provide good results. As mentioned else in this thread, some of the OM 4 and 2S bodies may prove to be less than reliable. That being said, my favorite OM is the 2S. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have owned both the OM2 and OM2n. Of the two I prefer the original model because of its awesome low-light metering capabilities. Read more about this here:

http://www.zuiko.com/index_031.htm

If you don't need more than 3.5 minutes of low-light metering, then the 2n would probably be the better choice, mostly because it's newer.

Best,

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Olympus Living History Farm

Here is a picture of my current Olympus harem:

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...d=389&Itemid=1

To those that claim to have issues with the diminutive size of the OM body, once you put the MD2 and 35-80/2.8 zoom on there, it is anything but small and lightweight. You can see in the picture that it actually dwarfs the E-1.

Note: This is a live kit that is used for professional photography purposes--nothing in there holds down closet shelves.

Personally, I absolutely love using the OM system. There are a few oddities, like every system has, but overall, it is an incredible system and a very complete system. Nobody produced as extensive of a line of Macro products as Olympus, for example.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes....... I have both OM2N and OM2S..... the Olympus System is awesomely cool. But be aware, it's a battery hawg!!!!
    Last edited by VaryaV; 01-22-2009 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What compares? Aperture priority automatic with complete manual override is what you have.
    There's not a whole lot, You're using Pentax already so get an LX body. If manual control only is important go for an MX.
    Want to change systems & get a slightly larger camera? Nikon FE or FE2. They're small for Nikon though. Canon A1 doesn't have a truly convenient manual operation & it's same size as the AT1.. Not a contender
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Life's gone full circle for me. Although it wasn't my first camera, the OM2n was my first 'serious' camera and I regret ever having parted with it. That said, I've recently acquired another and I'm loving it. Lenses are relatively cheap - as well as being excellent - and the metering is wonderful.

If I was recommending another camera that might 'compete', it'd be a Pentax LX or, if you want something a bit chunkier, a Nikon F3.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the Olymus OM series are the best SLR system ever made (Can you tell im biased? haha).
    Previous posts have covered most points already, but i thought i'd mention my experiences with OM's anyway.
    I have and use the OM1,OM2,OM2n,OM2SP, and receiving an OM3 very shortly. Cant wait.
    My hands are on the larger size, but somehow the OM's feels very comfortable to use, actually everyone i've given them to report the same things. They are built extremely well. The light seals will die, but it's a very easy thing to replace. I do it whenever i get another OM and takes me about 15 mins now. To be picky, the only thing that could be better as far as build quality goes is the plastic timer lever on the front. Whilst this has never happened to me, i see others that have been broken off. Either they were forced, or caught on something that snapperd them off.
    The VF is simplay amazing, metering brilliant, they're very user friendly, and until recently very cheap. I say "recently" because it looks like their average price has been increasing considerably over the last year or so.
    It goes without saying how good Zuiko glass is. But there are some lenses that have become extremely over priced, such as the 40mm, which collectors have seemed to latch onto now.
    As far as batteries go, thats a non issue with the OM1 and OM2/2n, but i've heard bad reports about the OM2SP. Personally, i've had the same batteries in it for a year now, so must not be expereinceing the problems others have reported.
    My favourite every day camera to use is the OM2n. I like the aperture priority when im feeling lazy, or need a take a quick shot without having time to adjust shutter speeds etc. The OM1 is a masterpiece in its own right though. Perfectly balanced simplicity and reliability. I'll be receiving my OM3 any day now, i hope it compares as favourably as the others!

Shooter
    35mm
    That having been said, there are some pretty nice, small Pentaxes that meet your description and would work with your existing lenses.
    Like what? I only have one Pentax lens and I'm not much of a lens hoarder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello there!

I own a OM 2000 which I decided to buy because it offers spot metering. Some say that this OM model wasn't even produced by Olympus (Cosina?). Anyway, I love the camera and I consider it my second best. I am far from being an expert like so many here are, but I love the level of detail I get with the Zuiko lenses I own. I only like my Bessa R3A because this camera is more beautiful to my eyes - and less noisy too.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin