Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 761

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Nikon F-2SB finder issue

Hey all,

I recently got my hands on an F-2SB in really awesome condition. Trouble is, the meter on it, in the DP-3 finder, will only meter correctly above f/5.6. I'm using a 50mm f/1.4 and mounting it per the Nikon manual (mount lens, turn aperture ring to minimum, turn it to maximum). The finder will display the correct aperture of the lens in the little window on the front, so I can get at least that far. The trouble begins when I turn the aperture ring to smaller apertures. At f/5.6 there is resistance in turning, not much but there's a little 'bump.' Past that it's totally ok and meter's fine, but at any stop wider than 5.6, it won't meter correctly. The LED's get all jumpy and weird. Totally OK at 5.6+, though. Any thoughts?

Also, can anyone tell me what the little lever on the far front (looking at the front of the camera) right of the prism is. It moves a little when I turn the aperture to the 'bump' point, but there's no mention of it anywhere I've seen in the camera literature.

Thanks all,
    Patrick

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_joe6 View Post
    .....Also, can anyone tell me what the little lever on the far front (looking at the front of the camera) right of the prism is. It moves a little when I turn the aperture to the 'bump' point, but there's no mention of it anywhere I've seen in the camera literature....
    That little silver lever is to couple the finder to the optional EE aperture control. It should not have any effect on your problem.

When you remove the lens, does the coupling pin retract normally? Can you press that pin up into the finder, as if setting the finder for non-coupled lenses?

I suspect the coupling linkage needs some lube. I've never had the F2 finders apart, but on the F finders you can remove the front cover with 3 screws and lube the linkage.

If the finder seems to work properly above 5.6, and it is nice shape, I would consider sending it to Pete Smith at Fotocamera Repair in Lake Worth, FL. Phone him and discuss it 561-433-8434. He does outstanding work on the F and F2.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for the contact advice.

Yep, the coupling lever snaps right back up into the finder when the lens comes off.

It seems that from what Ive been able to find online, which isn't much, the 'bump' at f/5.6 is normal to the meters.

I've also noticed quite a bit of play in the rotation of the shutter speed knob on the meter. Is this normal, or should it be quite firm and distinct?

What would I use to lube the linkage?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The issue might also be a dirty ring resistor @ the f/1.2-5.6 range. The bump is normal to all meter heads that have the semi automatic indexing, like all the non-AI F2 finders and the FTn finder for the Nikon F.

The play seems to be normal, since my F2A also does it. Unlike my FM2n and my F4, there's about 2-3 degrees rotational movement on the DP-11's shutter speed dial. The body's dial doesn't seem to do it, though. Just popped my finder off to verify that it wasn't the shutter speed dial on the body itself.

If you don't mind sending the camera to the UK, you could send it to Sover Wong, who is the guy to go to for Nikon F2 repairs. If you do, I'd contact Camera Clinic in Shoreline, WA. 206-367-2440. Open from Tues-Sat, 10 am to 2 pm. He should be around tomorrow, if you want to discuss it. A meter repair is about $98, plus tax, or in your case, shipping. He can also refoam your F2, if you want to send him the whole camera.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Patrick,

Check out this link... http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/har.../dp3/index.htm

This site will provide you with many, many answers.

Hope this help

Ira

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin