Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,120   Online: 1114

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

How to avoid vigneting??

I am trying to use a 67mm slim B&W- filter on my C/Y 18mm Zeiss lens. There is a minimum of vigneting in the corners of the image. With what lenssettings is the vigneting least visible. Wide aperture, small aperture focusing close focusing at infinity?

Thanks Jaap Jan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The wider your aperture the more pronounced the vignetting. Usually the middle of the aperture scale produces the least about of drop off.

You might find you must remove the filter for better results.

Good luck.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The wider the aperture, the more the inherent vignetting of the lens itself will be evident (not a huge problem with the Zeiss 18mm), but the vignetting caused by the filter will be less visible.

Full aperture or f/5.6 might be he best compromise with that filter, but you'll really need to run some tests.

The filter vignetting will also be less evident in close-ups.

The best solution might be using an external clamp-on filter holder with an oversize filter (as I do, having the Rolleiflex version of that lens, which has no filter threads).
    Some step-up rings might also achieve that result.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same problem with my Zenzanon 50 with a B&W polerizer and lens hood attached. Very frustrating.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
    I have the same problem with my Zenzanon 50 with a B&W polerizer and lens hood attached. Very frustrating.
    Wow, but that's quite some stuff on.
    You could take out the hood when not needed, and use your hands to stop stray light...
    I suspect that my Zuiko 28 f3.5 does also vignette when putting UV filter + hood. Anyways, I'll have take out the filter when not needed...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a rule of thumb I never use a hood with a polarizer, especialy with wide angle lenses, some 17mm lenses have in built dial - in filters like the Tamron SP 17mm to avoid vignetting, but generaly it isn't a good idea to use filters with extreme wide angle lenses if you can avoid it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing that may possibly help to reduce or eliminate vignetting, is to use an over size filter which is fitted to a step up ring.

I have used this combination on my own 18mm Sigma lens which has had a machined thread fitted to the lens, enabling a 72mm filter to be used.

Using a 72-77 (I think it is 77) I can safely use filters on that lens without vignetting.

Using Nikon polariser filters designed for the late seventies to nineties era, can help you eliminate vignetting. The 52mm and the 72mm Nikon polariser filters have a step up facility built in. That is, their glass is very wide, in the case of the 52mm filter I estimate the glass is about 67mm in diameter.

Nikon have also made a special lens hood for the 52mm polariser called the HN12. This filter comes in two pieces, the short part is useful for Nikkor lenses 35 through to 55mm, with the second hood attached you can use it on 85 to 200m lenses. This is really a good set-up.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    Wow, but that's quite some stuff on.
    You could take out the hood when not needed, and use your hands to stop stray light...
    I suspect that my Zuiko 28 f3.5 does also vignette when putting UV filter + hood. Anyways, I'll have take out the filter when not needed...
    That's a fair point. I'll have to give it a try.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe it's the lens that is vigneting. And to add a filter will do no good. In the contrary.
    Close three to four stops and it won't be visible anymore.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin