Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,686   Online: 881

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Steve. My camera's always been a paper weight so nothing ventured nothing gained

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The really neat thing about the Spotmatics is the front plate is so simple to remove.
    Remove top, bottom covers & leatherette. The screws for the front plate are now visible. DANGER! Will Robinson! There are usually small shims beneath the plate. They are used to set the film/flange distance.
    Sometimes they will stick to the back of the plate, sometimes to the casting and sometimes just not there.
    There is also a small shaft ~2mm long that engages the self-timer lever to the ST itself. Just make sure you don't lose it, it needs to be engaged for the timer to work.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Someone on the Flickr Manual Pentax group pointed me here: http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manual...icemanuals.htm

The first manual for the S3 is just about the same as the S1a. Some files need the password 'Pentax' to open (P must be capital letter).

Lots of other interesting stuff there too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Steve, that's my beast - I think, an S3. I've always left it lying about with a few lenses in case I was burgled It looks OK

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fixed it!!!

Thanks to the S3 service manual, I found a lever which was out of place. After lots of attempts taking it apart and putting it back together again involving the usual quota of swearing, it now works on all slow speeds.

1 and 1/2 seconds are a bit hesitant but not far off, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/15 seem o.k.

B works but T just fires quickly. I assume T is press once for open, press again for close. I don't really care that T doesn't work.

During repeated testing there were a couple of misfires where a low speed fired faster (probably 1/30) but 95% of the time it was fine.

I'm probably only going to be using this hand held between 1/60 and 1/250 (judging by my usual exposure information) so I didn't really have to do this slow speed repair but I'm glad I did just for the practice.

EDIT: And just to round off the evening, I managed to fix our washing machine too!

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 01-26-2009 at 05:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin