Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,530   Online: 814

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

where are all the nice pentax K lenses?

As much as I like the pentax K mount cameras, Ive given up on using it for my 35mm system.

First off, the nice prime lenses are too hard to find. This is especially confusing because there are plenty in M42 mount.

Second, because there arent many on the market, K-mount primes demand premium prices. I see no reason to invest in the system when I can buy similar nikon lenses at half the price.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    everyone is still using them, that's why. Even on d*g*tal Pentax cameras, the old M42 and K-mount lenses work just fine. So everyone wants, and nobody sells.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    keh usually has some, i got mine there ( 135, 100, 28 ),
    but they cost an arm and a leg ...
    i also was able to find a store going out of business about 10-12 years ago,
    and scarfed up 2 - new in box- 50mm f2s for almost nothing!
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are certainly about, I've bought a few in the last few years for other people. They seem to be kept, so fewer come onto the second hand market.

A couple of years ago I bought a complete K mount system for a friend's daughter who was studying photography, body & 3 lenses, and that's often a good way to buy them. Fewer people want everything so Ebay bids often remain lowish.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Their definitely a little pricey but if you have a body you love piece it together as you find them. Just be thankful you don't have a Leica SLR and are looking for cheap lenses.

I enjoy shooting my K1000 featureless body but won't invest in lenses for it. I'm better off adding to my FD system as I can get some great lenses at practically wholesale pricing and the lenses are tops.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    As much as I like the pentax K mount cameras, Ive given up on using it for my 35mm system.

First off, the nice prime lenses are too hard to find. This is especially confusing because there are plenty in M42 mount.

Second, because there arent many on the market, K-mount primes demand premium prices. I see no reason to invest in the system when I can buy similar nikon lenses at half the price.
    Check out Pentax Forums. They have a lively trading thread over there - all kinds of cool K mount stuff comes along.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    In the world of Canon FD/FDn lens system, the prices are even lower. And the new Panasonic mirrorless electronic camera can use these lenses with an adapter, so there's a slightly longer life expectacy for them now. Too bad it's not a full-size image...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    everyone is still using them, that's why. Even on d*g*tal Pentax cameras, the old M42 and K-mount lenses work just fine. So everyone wants, and nobody sells.
    Exactly, the BIG advantage of K-Mount lenses ( and M42 ) is that there is a huge range that works on ALL K-Mount bodies. Only Nikon can do the same thing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not as close though, you'll have quite a bit of a nightmare figuring out lens/body compatibility with the myriad of Nikon lens (Q, AI, AIS, etc.) The K mount is much simpler.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why looking only in Pentax primes for a K mount system? Only for the usual wide-angles and normal lenses: Chinon and Tokina made some high resolution ones, Ricoh and Kiron are on the high contrast, Cosina and Vivitar brought on the market lenses producing images of a particular artistic feeling. Of course, all these lenses (except maybe for Chinon) are very different from the genuine Pentax ones, but difference doesn’t mean poor! Just as an example, I found the worst normal lens to be the Pentax 50/2. Instead, I fall in love with the Vivitar 50/1.7 (made in China!) for its high artistic qualities. Of course, these are my preferences, my perceptions, but everything is subjective when working with images of the reality. K mount lenses doesn’t mean only genuine Pentax – it is a world to explore, where good surprises are abundant and bad ones cheap (so worth to try).
    B&W is silver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin