Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,637   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filters

Shooter
    35mm

Filters

Hi...just a quick question....

Using coloured filters for B&W...and also say using a polarizer with colour film, do you need to take the UV filter off, or can you just use the polarizer/colour filter over the UV filter.

I cant think of why it would make any difference, but I really hve no idea.

Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've never used a UV, but I would want to shoot through as few pieces of filtration as actually needed. If you leave it on, you must multiply the factors of the two filters----I'm not sure a UV has a factor but if it does, you have to multiply them for the total factor to be applied to the exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's best to use just 1 filter. Extra glass just adds more chance of flare, image degradation etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Less glass outside that designed into the lens, and fewer air-to-glass surfaces is usually considered better. Every air-to-glass surface causes some light loss and more reflections. You might not notice the difference, but in theory at least fewer is better.

You'll obviously need to stack to get combined effects from something like a yellow or orange filter plus a polarizer, but a UV filter won't typically have much affect on the result, so for optimal image quality, it should be left off when using other filters.

You could simply test and see if you find that the extra filter is problematic for you in some way, then decide what's the best balance of convenience and quality of results for you.

Lee

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Take out the UV filter, If it was a coloured + CPL it may be OK. But the UV just protects.
    If you got a long focal length and conditions where flare may not appear, you could leave both filters, but better not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    UV rays increase with altitude so it also depends where you plan to shoot. If you shoot in the mountains above 1000 meters UV has impact on film and the UV filter is recommended. For normal conditions shooting follow above advice and use the UV filter only to protect your lens.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Don't forget that the more filters you have attached to the lens increases the possibility of vignetting, especially with wide-angle lenses.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    UV filter is really no more than an upsell with a new lens. All the purpose it really serves, IMHO, is to protcect the front element of a lens attached to a camera attached to a careless photographer. Of course, anything can happen to anybody. But I have not mounted a UV filter in over 15 years.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Don't forget that the more filters you have attached to the lens increases the possibility of vignetting, especially with wide-angle lenses.

Mike

Exactly what I was going to add!

Additionally, image quality can suffer by 'piggy-backing' filters. I've seen some pros attach 4 filters — those dreadful COKIN things. Buy the best you can afford in terms of quality, work within the angle of your lens (to avoid the vignetting) and double up judiciously. Leave UV or SKYLIGHT filter on lens all the time, but (ideally) remove it when fitting a POL (incidentally, remember a polariser will cool the scene slightly).
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 01-27-2009 at 12:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Leave UV or SKYLIGHT filter on lens all the time, but (ideally) remove it when fitting a POL [...]
    Remove the UV everytime you put any other filter on.
    It serves no purpose at all when using other filters. But it will add to the flare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin