Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,845   Online: 1097

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    1,100,000 on the 50/1.4 zuiko lenses. And yes, it really is a lot sharper, especially wide open, compared to older ones. I have two of the >1,100,000 lenses and a 692xxx version.
    Finally I find someone that has both series of the 1.4.
    I've read that the 1.1M+ has a harsh bokeh, something like astigmatic; In short: not as nice as the earlier ones.
    Do you find the bokeh is the same between the two? Or quite more hard on the 1.1M+?

Shooter
    35mm
    So, did you get YOUR 2N back? You should ahve gottena written receipt with serial numbers when you dropped it off. OM-1/1N meter movements use strings and pulleys and will move without batteries or with the switch off (or with a dead meter). ASA 100, f1.4, shutter speed B will often center the needle. of course, this is not to be confused with a real meter reading. If your needle does not move properly with a good battery installed, then you could have a corroded battery wire, broken battery contact, broken meter ground , (worst case) a bad meter movement or any one of 3-4 other things. John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    Finally I find someone that has both series of the 1.4.
    I've read that the 1.1M+ has a harsh bokeh, something like astigmatic; In short: not as nice as the earlier ones.
    Do you find the bokeh is the same between the two? Or quite more hard on the 1.1M+?
    Actually I think the latest ones had the best bokeh. The earlier ones were a little harsher.

Here's a shot from my 1.1M+

My girlfriend took these

The 50mm f1.8 lenses were FAR worse. This is one my girlfriend shot with the last version of the 50/1.8 (the one that says made in japan on the front ring).

I don't have a shot with the older 50/1.4 online, unfortunately. Take my word for it, I like the 1.1M+ better. None of Olympus's 50/1.4 lenses have truly awesome bokeh, all are somewhat harsh, but I like the latest one better than the earlier ones and all the 50/1.4 lenses are better than the last version of the 50/1.8, which is a very sharp lens with very ugly background rendition.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Swindles View Post
    I really don't like saying this PJ but are you REALLY sure about this "local pro"? From what you have said he does not sound very 'pro' to me. Any decent repair shop would give you a receipt for any gear left for repair which would list serial nos.. Anyone who knows anything about the OM system would know that the battery for the OM-1 is no longer available and the camera requires adaptation or a battery adaptor to use an alternative. Unless the body had already had the modification, fitting a 'fresh' battery would have no meaning. I regret to say that I could not trust a shop that could not identify the equipment which a customer had entrusted to them.
    Hi Allan. This guy is great. A proper old-style pro photographer who is also a Nikon agent. It doesn't get better for me! He trades a few old film cameras and I'm happy to take my chances. He might be the pro but his wife is the organiser and she found my camera the minute he started to flounder.

I'm going to check out the serial number but the silver-nosed 1.4 has such a golden / amber glow to the lens coatings, it's worth £30 - irrespective of whether it's sharper than my black-nosed version or not....! Looks beautiful in the light and just needs to be paired with a decent 1n or 2n body.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually I think the latest ones had the best bokeh. The earlier ones were a little harsher.

Here's a shot from my 1.1M+

My girlfriend took these

The 50mm f1.8 lenses were FAR worse. This is one my girlfriend shot with the last version of the 50/1.8 (the one that says made in japan on the front ring).

I don't have a shot with the older 50/1.4 online, unfortunately. Take my word for it, I like the 1.1M+ better. None of Olympus's 50/1.4 lenses have truly awesome bokeh, all are somewhat harsh, but I like the latest one better than the earlier ones and all the 50/1.4 lenses are better than the last version of the 50/1.8, which is a very sharp lens with very ugly background rendition.
    Hi Chris.

Do you happen to have a 35mm/f2? I've heard such good things about this lens and the 85mm/f2 that I'm tempted to hunt them down. I've just picked up a 75-150mm/f4 as a stop-gap for a portrait lens and it seems okay but I haven't had anything processed yet. Any thoughts?

PJ.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul:

The 35mm f/2.0 and the 85mm f/2.0 zuiko lenses are my two favourites. I like the 35mm so much as a standard lens that I have two of them.

Here is a shot from the 35mm that I have in my APUG gallery:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...97&ppuser=6479

I don't seem to have anything scanned that was shot with the 85mm, but I assure you it is a fine lens.

By the way, don't discount the 75-150 - here is another shot from my APUG gallery (shot for the Monthly Shooting Assignment - Portals):

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...35&ppuser=6479

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Paul I have both lenses, and I like them both. The 85 has nice bokeh and the 35 does too. The 85 is kind of expensive, usually selling for over $300 on Ebay. Look for a 100/2.8 instead if you want to save money. The 100mm f2.8 is EXTREMELY sharp, more so than the 85 I think, and has great bokeh. It is close in focal length and makes a great portrait lens. They usually go for less than $100. I paid $60 for mine on Ebay. You only lose a stop to save over $200.

Shot with the 35/2:

Shot with the 85/2:

Shot with the 100/2.8:

Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Thank you very much for showing your experience, now I am sure that I should get the 1.1M+. I have a MiJ 1.8 and bokeh is 80% of the times a really harsh one.
    A member of flickr told me that 1.8 have the best bokeh of all OM 50 in Digital evolts, and the 1.4 and over (best bokeh in OM) have a bad one in the Evolts. Curious thing

I'm going to check out the serial number but the silver-nosed 1.4 has such a golden / amber glow to the lens coatings, it's worth £30 - irrespective of whether it's sharper than my black-nosed version or not....! Looks beautiful in the light and just needs to be paired with a decent 1n or 2n body.
    I believe the earlier are less sharp, but hey. There was a test that shown a silvernosed 1.4 having better resolution than a modern canon one!
    Also, it's said that very early 1.4s may have thoriated glass as the 55 f1,2 silvernose.

Paul I have both lenses, and I like them both. The 85 has nice bokeh and the 35 does too. The 85 is kind of expensive, usually selling for over $300 on Ebay. Look for a 100/2.8 instead if you want to save money. The 100mm f2.8 is EXTREMELY sharp, more so than the 85 I think, and has great bokeh. It is close in focal length and makes a great portrait lens. They usually go for less than $100. I paid $60 for mine on Ebay. You only lose a stop to save over $200.
    Really? I've found that the price of both isn't that different, Olympus usa in ebay has a 50-100$ difference, well I believe it's the earlier model. I prefer the 85 for the focal, not so tele for portraits, so it can be better without having to step back. The 100 is said to be a good substitute of the 135s. Buying both won't hurt anyone, except the economy Well, the second bidder will be a bit frustrated...
    Also, Does the 100 2.8 have a floating element system for closer focus? The 85 seems to do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    Really? I've found that the price of both isn't that different, Olympus usa in ebay has a 50-100$ difference, well I believe it's the earlier model. I prefer the 85 for the focal, not so tele for portraits, so it can be better without having to step back. The 100 is said to be a good substitute of the 135s. Buying both won't hurt anyone, except the economy Well, the second bidder will be a bit frustrated...
    Also, Does the 100 2.8 have a floating element system for closer focus? The 85 seems to do.
    That guy on ebay who uses the name OlympusUSA is NOT Olympus. He's a guy who buys olympus items and empty boxes and matches them together to sell as though they were new when they aren't. He then charges 2-3 times the normal prices for them what they're worth. His un-boxed items aren't as outrageously priced but he is still consistently VERY expensive. He is a well known figure on the Olympus email list because he joined it several yrs ago posing as a photographer who liked OM gear and he got list members to sell him a lot of stuff cheap then resold it all on ebay for 4 times what he paid.

Ifyou look at listing by HONEST ebay sellers, the 85 typically goes for about $300 and the 100/2.8 (not the 100/2, it is MUCH more expensive, usually $900) goes for about $90.

The 85 does have floating elements and the 100/2.8 does not but I still think the 100 is sharper even close up.
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin